Hormones, An Appointment, And Tacos

CARINA POV
Three months pregnant and I am exhausted, but I don't show it. With a protective wife, I know that the moment is how her some sign that the pregnancy is affecting me, will be the moment she will do everything in her power to stop me from overworking. But being pregnant hasn't been all that bad, the customary foot rubs every evening and the surprise lunches being delivered have definitely been welcomed.

"Babe, we need to leave for the appointment" Maya shouted up the stairs for the second time, I haven't really been in a hurry with the appointment being in 35 minutes time, I can relax. I could relax if it wasn't for my wife. I could hear her footsteps running up the carpeted stairs, rolling my eyes as I knew she'd join me.

"Are you okay? Did something happen?" She hurriedly says, hunched over slightly as she pants. She hasn't been running as much, another thing that she's started since I've been pregnant, the protective hold she has, hasn't stopped for a second.

"Everything is okay, do I wear the plain one or the patterned one? I don't want to look like an elephant" I look between my options, pointing to each as I question her. Raising her eyebrows, I know that she wasn't expecting a fashion question.

"Neither would make you look like an elephant" She picks the correct answer, the answer that should have been correct.

"Why can't you just pick one? Do I look ugly in one of them? I bet it's the patterned one, I thought you'd like it" I could feel myself start to tear up, the hormones chasing any emotion that I can express.

"No that's not what I meant. I love all of your clothes; I love both of these which is why I can't choose" She tries to justify her previous answer.

"Well now you're just being selfish, I can't wear everything all at once. These two are the only ones that fit my stomach now because of your baby" I yell, marching back into our walk-in closet.

"If they are the only ones who fit, maybe we should go shopping afterwards for clothes that would fit" Maya advises, a good idea but when matched with my hormones... well.

"So, you're saying I'm fat. I'm carrying your baby, and now you're calling me fat. I can't believe you!" I turn to see a horrified Maya, looking around the room to see some way of stopping my emotions from taking over.

"I never said you were fat. Remember, you said that these are the ones that fit, wouldn't you like to have more options?" Again, Maya gives some good advice. God, help her. I just start to cry; a waterfall of tears escapes my eye ducts and leave trails down my face and neck. Her eyes widen, her hands moving rapidly around as if to try and find an imaginary stop button for my crying.

"I love you, okay? I want you to be comfortable, we want you to be comfortable" She whispers sweetly, placing her hand on my stomach softly. The cries only grow into silent sobs.

-

It took some coaxing and a lot of tissues, before I felt like I could leave the house. The drive to the hospital was comfortably silent as Maya played some calm music and stroked my thigh. We were quick to walk our way through the endless corridors until we met the floor that has become a home to myself, the OB floor.

"Jo?" I asked the nurse desk, one of the nurses pointed to a private room. We both started walking that way.

MAYA POV

This morning was a whirlwind, to say that my wife is sensitive would be a major understatement. The tears that come after shouting about the smallest thing has been something to get accustomed to. She's been tired most of the time, a sort of endless trance where her eyes are slightly closed and she mostly communicates with sounds rather than words, when we're home. I haven't said anything, it would cause an argument, tears, and a pillow thrown at my head. Anyway, the drive to the hospital had gone smoothly, the walk to the room had gone smoothly, and now Jo was squirting the cold liquid onto my wife's stomach, and I just hoped this part would go smoothly too.