Home Time

MAYA POV

The month has been maddening, a period of time where despite the opportunity to sleep and aimlessly scroll through social media has only caused stress to loom over you more and more. To those around us, or those who barely know us, it probably looks like nothing. The stress was easy to explain, it simply was that our daughter was still in the NICU, she was coming out in two days but that hasn't made the waiting process any better. Being given a date of when something will happen, only forces you to constantly check the date on the calendar every passing moment.

Carina has been calm, settled, and looking at paperwork if she wants to pass time. I've been trying to do the same, God, I really have been trying. Andy has been sending the reports weekly for me to scan through, but without being at the incident it's pointless. The paperwork side of the job I loved, has become something I loved. Notice the past tense, loved. I used to block out the world as I filled in the paperwork and now it's just a document on my laptop which I can't focus on. Every third word, I get distracted, and I hate it. I hate that I can hear Carina typing on her computer, the time ticking away on the clock, or the screeching of gurneys passing the door. We were still in Carina's office; it was still a small apartment that we'd holed ourselves into.

"Hey guys, I have some news about your little girl" Jo entered the almost silent room, getting the attention of both of us. She looked between us and decided to carry on.

"So, as you requested, we have tested everything twice a day. As you also know, the whole department think it's obsessive, but you lead the department and we're not going to cause an issue" Jo gives a pointed look to my wife, a smile gracing all of our lips. "But I guess the mass number of daily tests have brought up some new results. A little girl in the NICU, seems to have passed all of the tests with flying colours and is now waiting to be discharged" Jo shares the good news, her eyes flickering from both of our faces. I hear Carina sniffing quietly, turning my head I can see the tears she's been afraid to fall, falling quickly. Our daughter is coming home... shit, she's coming home, and nothing is ready!

"Now, I have been given strict orders by Dr Bailey to let you leave the office immediately and get your daughter, and you can't return. We will clean and tidy everything while you go home and some of us will come by later. Go get your little girl" Jo says, seeing a small part of the tension leaving our body. As excited as we were to see our daughter, we weren't excited about packing a months' worth of clothes.

We hurried out of the office, Carina throwing her keys at Jo; narrowly missing her face. We sped through the multiple corridors until we came to the big glass window presenting the little babies to the world. In the right top corner, laid our little girl rhythmically sucking her pacifier as her hands moved wildly around the small incubator.

"If you both could just sign here and here, we will get Isabella ready for you." One of the nurses explained, watching as Carina almost snatched the pen from her hand. It may be the messiest and almost illegible signature ever given, but it will do.

As if picking up a takeaway, our daughter was handed to us through a door. She was wrapped in blankets, swaddled, and put into a baby carrier suitable for our car. The walk back through the hospital was quick, over the month of pure boredom, I'd curated the perfect way out of the hospital without having to talk to anyone. And that's the path we followed. As expected, we didn't run into anyone.

The car ride home was quick, again I'd found the perfect route to and from the hospital months before Isabella was meant to make her appearance. I'd drive Carina to work in that specific route to get comfortable with the roads and alternative routes if there were any road closures.

Entering our warm house felt different. The baby carrier was carefully placed on our dining room table as I carefully took Isabella from the carrier, consequently waking her up. We changed her diaper and put her back into a small onesie that was decorated with stethoscopes and fire trucks – a gift given by Andy and Vic when they visited us for the first time.

"I can't believe we're here" I whisper, watching Isabella slightly squirm in my arms.

"We're now officially parents parenting" Carina remarked, amused at the way my eyes widened.

"We still need to fix the light in the nursery, and we haven't bought any diapers other than what we bought for the hospital. I need to go to the store. Fuck" I panic, moving to give my beautiful wife, our child.

"Already swearing in front of our daughter. Maya Deluca-Bishop, I thought better of you" Carina says in a teasing tone, briefly taking me out of my partially stressed being. "How about we go upstairs and put her down for a nap since she apparently needs it" Carina suggests, already moving towards the stairs. I take a second to think before huffing, following quickly behind her. Entering the nursery, we were met with a pile of wrapped presents, a mountain of diapers and other things we definitely needed but I'd forgotten to get.

"No going to the store for you. I think we have everything" Carina says, placing our little girl into the crib, Isabella flexes her arms for a few seconds and relaxes.

"But what about food? Our fridge will be filled with rotting vegetables and fruit" I exclaim, noticing the small eye roll that Carina gives.

"Maybe we're lucky enough that someone has snuck in here, cleaned, and filled our fridge with food" Carina said, hopeful and almost skipping down the stairs, bringing a smile to my face. I take one last second to look at the small baby before running down the stairs.

"Look" Carina whispers, handing me a handwritten note.

Maya and Carina,

You've been tired and getting on everyone's nerves, so we thought we'd make sure you definitely won't be coming back to the hospital. Over the last four days, we have been coordinating between all of us (both 19 and Greys) to help you settle into life at home.

You should find presents and diaper galore upstairs, as well as your fridge filled. We also took the time to tidy and lightly clean your house, check out the new bedding – it was about time!

We can't wait to see pictures of your little girl in the group chat, that's all we want back.

We hope this stopped either of you (Maya) from panicking.

Call us if you need anything,

Amelia + the team of Station 19 and Grey Sloan Hospital

The letter read. Carina was teary eyed, and I wasn't far off having the same reaction. Our chosen family had stepped forward, knowing what we needed and providing exactly that while we were in a moment of need. There's a reason why they're our chosen family.

"Come here" I whispered, Carina almost falling into my arms as tears continued to fall. Her hormones are still at an all time high, anything and everything will cause her to cry. We held each other tightly, forever thankful of our friends but thankful for each other and our daughter.