Sunset

The sunrise behind the boat was an astonishing array of color, nothing like any of them had ever seen. The sun's golden hues mesh with the night's cold complexion, soon overpowering it to create a beauty indescribable by even the greatest of poets. It was their sign that it truly was over.

They were safe.

But they'll never feel truly safe again, no matter how much they'll try to let themselves. They'll always sleep with an eye open or a knife under their pillow. They'll always insist on staying with another instead of venturing off alone, even in the simplest situations. And they'll always be afraid to let someone in, afraid of what'll happen to the ones they love most. They will deny any of this of course, but you can only pretend for so long.

As Chef rode away I watched him go. I watched him leave Chris behind without even looking back. He cared for Chris, but the feeling was hardly mutual... or at least that's what Chef believed.

Let this be a lesson, yes? If you care, don't die not telling them you care. Text your mom, your dad, your cousin, your partner. Tell them you love them. We all deserve to be loved.

But not him.

Who's idea was it to have the funeral back on the island? The only camper with enough strength to do that was Cody, but it was because he had an ulterior motive... to see Noah. The families of those who passed, celebrities, and reporters traveled from across the world to visit the grave sites of the dead teens. Noah's body wasn't found in time though, and no one bothered to look for Chris. Even Heather's parents showed up, but they only came for the check given to the campers family's from the network.

I watched as mothers wept, crying for their sons and daughters, cursing the man who sent them there, and cursing themselves for letting them go. Fathers attempted to comfort, siblings wanting to make sense of it all, friends watching in denial as their classmate was lowered into the ground in pieces.

Then there was Chris, who became a notorious nobody. Within years, the only thing connected to his name was the murders of Wawanakwa. The kids he left to die. No one cared he followed close behind. They all agree it was karma.

All the money and fame he devoted his life to earning resulted in nothing. All the joy and pain and sorrow he brought meant nothing. He's become nothing more than a face to look back on. He may be pitied or shamed, but he is still nothing.

He is nothing.

All that remains is his soul, which is one that no sane person would even spit on.

He has faced the action of his consequences... though it took more than just the deaths of a few teens. This was long coming... he just had to wait. His fate was set the moment he looked into that mirror.

...

Chris wanted to call out to his mother that night, but he knew even she couldn't save him. Not because she couldn't, but because she wouldn't. He knew she wasn't proud of him. He pretended he didn't mind, but you could tell he did. We all know he did.

Now he wanders the island alone...