Rule #5 Once You See Her, Don't Turn Around

"Conga, conga, conga!" My smile was wide, ladies placing their hands on my waist, and mine on theirs, as we circled the cruise's dance floor.

This was such a great idea!

Women in small dresses, men who are too intimidated by me to question my sanity, it's great!

Once the dancing died down, I found myself hanging around the bar.

"Hello, Chris." I glanced to my left... of course, it had to be one of my producers.

"Ay... buddy!" I shot him finger guns.

"Are you drunk?" He tilted his glasses down, checking me up and down judgmentally.

"What? Psh, me? No way!" I punched his shoulder before ordering another drink. I looked back to see my producer stone faced. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing!"

"Chris, why aren't you on the island that you made me purchase for you...?" My eyes widened. I turned my head slowly towards the bartender, but kept my eyes on the producer.

"Uh, long story short..." I looked towards the bartender and snapped my fingers, "Hey, hurry up! But uh... you know."

"You didn't answer my question."

"Yeah, well-"

"Mr. McLean, you are aware that if you lied just to get yourself a private island, you can be sued for twice the amount, correct?"

"Mhm..."

"And you're aware that if the show isn't finished filming in 6 weeks, as well as fully edited in 2 weeks after that, then you can be sued triple?"

"Yup."

"And yet... you're here, aren't you?"

"Bartender, where's my drink?!" I slammed the bar platform until he finally came over and slammed down the glass. He slid it closer to me, I drank it in a single swallow, then I stuck up the middle finger, and waddled off.

"Chris? Chris!"

I stumbled back to my room, but before I could, I would have to pass through the lobby of the ship. I kept bumping into people and works of art, but I did it all with a smile on my face. Who cared? At least I wasn't sober.

I entered the hallway that led to the first floor of rooms, and paused when I saw something out the window...

"Heh, that kinda looks like Beth." I smiled as I looked out into the sea. On a platform a couple rows below, Beth was staring at me while hanging onto the railing of the ship... she wasn't too close, but for whatever reason she was smiling while in a handstand, her eyes wide. Beth was always the sweet one of the...

Beth?

"Chef... why is-" I turned around and remembered he wasn't there. I suddenly felt extremely sick to my stomach. I gagged as I ran up the stairs, gripping onto my lips. I continued to stumble and trip, but I'd rather not vomit all over the luxury carpet. I finally made it to my floor and as I stumbled towards my room, I couldn't help but notice Beth staring towards me on the patio outside... her smile, still wide...

I gagged again before running into the room. It's one thing when it's just a fuzzy dream in my head, there's no danger to it. But now, I can't tell if this is real or not.

Or if I can die.

As I ran into the room, I was immediately face to face with Beth... who thought it was a good idea to put a window in the entryway of a suite?

I could see her better now, her smile was ear to ear due to crude cuts elongating her lips. Her eyes glowed a ghostly blue and I questioned how she was standing there. Unless she's dead too...

She tapped on the glass, which called me forward

She tapped on the glass, which called me forward. It was hard to ignore, so I followed the urge. Her pale face pressed against the window, blood staining her skin, and fog spread across the glass. Once I realized what was happening, I jumped. I started to turn around but she tapped on the window again. Her smile remained, but she slowly shook her head.

I waved my arm out behind me...

And felt the chest of a figure behind me.

[art by eavee-ry on tiktok]