Chapter 1: The beginning

Lyla Mayfield sat at her desk in her room looking at every job opening there was, there were multiple jobs ranging from being a employee at a certain popular fast food restaurant, a cashier at a grocery store but she didn't want that.

Lyla loved animals and especially ones that had gone extinct but she needed a college degree for that and she was a mere 14 year old high school student living with her grandparents.

When she was about 4 years old her mother died from a disease leaving her with her father, he took his wife's loss harshly and went down the route of drugs and alcohol which made him abusive towards Lyla which caused her to try and fight back and one day she tried fighting back after he attacked her, but just about as she was about to lose consciousness her grandfather saved her and they sent Lyla's father to jail.

As Lyla scanned the newspaper she saw a job listing in San Jose Costa Rica, which was right after she would complete her school term in the summer, plus she would be used to the weather as Colorado got quite warm in the summer so after sending a letter to the person hiring she got a reply saying "be in San Jose the morning of June 1st 1993.

*******
Lyla landed on a small airstrip and got out of the plane, she wasn't too particular about being in planes as she always got airsick but she powered through it and walked to the area where the person hiring said to meet.

She saw a large man with glasses and a Hawaiian shirt sitting at a table and approached him "hello sir could you point me in the right direction to where I could go for this?"

The man looked at the paper she was holding up and laughed "oh that job, kid I recommend you get back on the plane cause the pay they offer is a lie and even then you may not get paid at all"

A man with a round hat and a brown shirt and shorts came up as he shouted to the man called Nedry saying "just because you didn't get paid doesn't mean everyone on the island doesn't

"Don't worry kid the pay is decent so no need to worry, follow me"

Lyla confused by the fact this man said island asked "first of all who are you and what do you mean by island?"

"The names Muldoon Robert Muldoon, now do you have the stuff that was suggested to bring?"
Muldoon asked

"Yeah.. why?" Replied Lyla

"Good cause where we're going isn't exactly a five star hotel."

Lyla got in the helicopter with Muldoon and took a paper bag in case she was throwing up Muldoon explained that the island was called isla nublar but that where they were going to work wasn't called that.

After landing they hopped off and Lyla saw a red jeep with an old man in a white hat and a cane with what looked like amber but she wasn't sure.

The man who introduced himself as John Hammond spoke with great enthusiasm "Hello Ms Mayfield pleasure to have you here, so are you ready to see what I hope Muldoon kept you in the dark about?"

Lyla rolled her eyes at the fact Muldoon was told to keep whatever the heck it was a secret and both him and John stood in front of the logo so Lyla couldn't see it and they hopped into the jeep.

As they drove along Lyla felt the vehicle come to a complete stop and before she could ask why they stopped she heard a bellowing and she stood up on her seat to see a couple of brachiosaurus munching on leaves, she couldn't help but shed some tears as she saw a real life dinosaur, not her favourite one but one she knew about and studied on. John smiled and said "Lyla mayfield welcome to Jurassic Park!"

"Oh my gosh how'd you do it?" Lyla asked

John simply replied "well Muldoon let's show her shall we"

They arrived to what Lyla assumed was the visitor centre and got out of the vehicle. They went through the doors and John briefly explained how but told her there was a video that would go into detail. When they got to the theatre room the video started playing, a character named Mr DNA explained how the dinosaurs were made, by a fossilized mosquito in amber which Lyla found interesting and after the scientists were mentioned Lyla asked "can we go see the lab?"

"I don't see why not" John replied

Lyla was the first to walk in and saw multiple science tools much like the ones she saw in her school lab but there were some which she didn't recognize and what immediately caught her eyesight was a singular dinosaur egg and before she could touch it the main scientist Henry Wu had intervened but calmly asked her to refrain from touching it.

He then said "I take it you're new here but this is a compsognathus egg that's about to hatch"

Lyla's eyes widened and expressed "no way compys are my favourite dinosaur of all time do you mind if I watch?"

"Not at all" Wu replied

The egg started hatching and out came a compy, the compy immediately noticed Lyla and jumped out and up onto Lyla but started nuzzling against her cheek.

"Awe I think it likes me" Lyla said

"It seems that she does.." Wu said

"Could I name it and maybe keep it?" Lyla asked

Wu was hesitant about the keeping part but Hammond interrupted and said "she seems to like Ms Mayfield here so as a first day gift we should let her keep it"

"Ok but we gotta let her grow for a couple days, But what do you want to name her?"
Wu asked

Lyla thought for a sec and replied "Callie I'll name her Callie"

"That's a wonderful name, now do you have any questions?" John asked

"Yeah so when do I start?" Lyla asked

Muldoon spoke after a while and said

"We've got a shipment of Dino's coming in, it's going to be early in the morning so I suggest getting settled in and having a quick nap before I come get you."

AN: Well I know I said January but I decided to release the first chapter a little early so happy new year and have a great week. All rights except my Oc belongs to universal studios.