Part Seven

This was it!

In a few minutes she would leave for the last party that she would attend as Rich's plus one.

She checked at her reflection in the full-length mirror and hardly recognized the stylish woman in the beautiful black evening gown that looked back.

She looks so happy. So full of wonder...

And it's no wonder! This holiday had been nothing short of magical!

The two of them had attended three parties every week starting the Monday after Thanksgiving. This week, the week of Christmas, there was only this one party. It was, according to Rich, the most spectacular of the Christmas parties this year.

It was also one of the three invitations accepted that was not a family affair. Vivian, ever the consummate planner and objections obliterator, had engaged a sitter for the evening on the same day she accepted the invite.

Just like the fairy god-mother, Vivian provided a beautiful dress, elegant conveyance to the ball, and even a prince!

Julie checked her reflection one more time and stifled a giggle.

Lord! She hadn't giggled since she was a little girl.

She felt like a little girl, at least for the moment.

Because in that moment she believed in the happily ever after promised at the end of every fairy tale.

You best get going, Cinderella! Your pumpkin coach will be here any minute!

With a flutter of excitement in her stomach she snatched up the little black clutch and stopped to check on Sidney.

Julie stood for a moment in the doorway watching the little cherub. A smile curled her lips as warmth spread through her like maple syrup as it puddled over Joe's amazing breakfast flapjacks.

His little footy-jammies snuggled against his round diapered bottom as he slept on his tummy with his knees bent under him.

The doorbell sounded.

"Please don't let him wake up!" Julie murmured as she hurried to answer before it rang again

A teenager, Julie guessed to be about 14 stood on the door. The first thing Julie noticed was the bright braces-adorned smile that was almost out-shined by the blinking lights on her Christmas sweater. She wore glasses, a messy-bun, and carried a book was tucked under her arm.

Julie liked her at once.

"Hello." She stuck her hand out. "I'm Emily. Mrs. Gleason sent me."

"Yes, come in." Julie shook the proffered hand and smiled as she stepped aside. "Sidney's asleep so you shouldn't have any trouble. I left my number on the fridge if you need me for anything."

"Thanks, Mrs. Baker." She smiled. "Don't worry about Sidney; I've got lots of experience with babies."

"Oh, I..." Julie shook her head. "I, uh..."

It wasn't worth the effort to tell Emily she wasn't a Missus.

It was silly that she would even be bothered by the mistake.

Why did she always have to over-think everything?

She was about to lead the way down the hall when she noticed Rich through the glass by the door. He smiled as he came up the walk.

Her heart did that rat-a-tat-tat thing again.

"Alright Emily, I'll be home late so..."

"I've got this Mrs. Baker. Go have fun." Emily chuckled. "Mr. Baker pulled up right behind me and my mom. Wait until you see your ride!"