20

"DEAREST READERS,

It has achieved this author's ears the scandalous news concerning the princess and the second born of the Bridgertons, which appears to be in a forbidden and salacious affair.

First things first, this author must declare that the fonts concerning this rumor are yet unknown, only heard to be from someone inside the Palace of Buckingham itself. Therefore, it is impossible for the ton, nor this author, to assume or prove that this feisty news is true.

The Royal Crown hasn't spoken on the subject, neither did the Bridgerton family. So far, the wedding, which is tomorrow, remains scheduled.

Let's hope it is only jealousy of the upcoming powerful couple, yes?

Yours truly,
Lady Whistledown"

...

Bellatrix has seen crises in the palace, big crises, such as her father having attacks during his speech to the council, or when one of her siblings managed to fight against their mother. But this time, the rush and anxiety that impregnated Buckingham was her fault.

Deep down, when Bella looked into her mother's eyes when she entered that room, she knew what was about. And the word scandal rolled off her tongue, her suspicions were confirmed.

She had ruined it all.

"What?" Bella mumbled in shock.

"I told you to marry a Bridgerton," Charlotte said with eloquence and authority, as she placed heavily an unknown pamphlet on the table. "Not sleep with his brother, for heaven's sake!" She exclaimed having enough.

Bella's body completely froze. Her eyes landed on the crumpled paper on the desk. It was of poor quality, made up quickly overnight, and clearly inferior to the Whistledown's pamphlet. It didn't have a title, an author, or anything else except the following headline "THE PRINCESS' AFFAIR WITH THE SECOND BORN".

Her breath stuck in her lungs. There, in that paper made up by someone she had no idea who it was, there were very well-written and imaginary lines describing her forbidden passion to Benedict. It included a variety from sleeping with him to creating a plan for them both to take his brother's viscount title and give it to him instead.

Each line made her tremble. "He was seen meeting up with the princess at midnight out of town. God knows what salacious things developed within these two traitors." And the others followed "The viscount was betrayed by his blood, a coward who has lost his wife to his brother. One wonders if he knew and preferred to remain quiet to receive money from the crown to marry the princess, or if he was the most foolish of them all in this trama".

Before Bella could even process the news, the papers were taken from her hands by Charlotte, who simply tore it apart with her bare hands in fury.

"How could you do this?" She questioned in a complete rage. "So close to the wedding-"

"This isn't true." Bellatrix shook her head. "I...I never slept with any man, I am still pure, I am waiting for my marriage, mama-"

"Do you have any idea what's at stake because of your mistake?!" Charlotte yelled, her eyes glossy and wide. "This might rhin your father's legacy, it could cause a crisis over the crown-"