5

"COLIN" Violet Bridgerton pulled her son's suit sleeve to bring him closer and whispered in his ear as her jaw dropped at the scene. "Do tell me, are my eyes deceiving me, or is your brother dancing with the princess?"

Her son immediately followed her gaze to the center of the room, where most of the ball was focused when Benedict held Bellatrix's hand and led her to the dance floor as if that was a casual dance of them both.

"If your eyes are deceiving you, mama, I believe mine are as well," Colin said with utter amusement. "Because I do see the same as you."

It is an understatement to say that the ton wasn't surprised when the youngest princess of the British Crown and now Diamond of the Season invited the underseen and outcasted second-born Bridgerton.

It is also a light way to say that the Viscount Bridgerton, legitimate heir, best suitor seen by all mothers present, didn't feel offended when the Princess walked past him, not even noticing his presence or when he approached her, while she made her way towards his brother across the room, standing her hand towards him in a bold move that made him paralyze in shock.

It is also mentionable the fact of how the princess herself, felt in disbelief by the revelation presented before her eyes.

"A Bridgerton?" Bellatrix asked in surprise. "You mean...from the Bridgerton family?" The question was ridiculous to ask but just made its' way out of her lips in an automatic response.

Benedict noticed the woman's surprise but still nodded in agreement. "Yes, Your Highness."

"Does that mean..."Her eyes wandered to a side of the room, where a pair of imponent eyes burned her skin, just the gesture made ethe breath escape her lungs (if it was by his charm or menacing look, she could not tell) "...you are related to the Viscount?"

"Yes, I am his brother," Benedict replied in a light-hearted way. "Why? Are you acquainted with him?"

Bellatrix quickly turned away from the viscount's haunting vision, it was almost as if he judged her, her generations, and the generations of her generations by not dancing with him instead.

Why would he care anyway? She did not belong to him, and neither had any duty to accept his invitation. Hell with it, she would not let her evening be ruined by such a pettish man.

"No, no, I just...caught a glimpse of his name on Whistledown's pamphlets." She lied.

"Oh, so Whistledown reaches readers in royalty, I see," Benedict said softly. "I hope you read only good things concerning my family."

"Well, I cannot lie and say that I wasn't surprised by some facts established." She muttered making him smile. "But I do not recall reading about you, Mr.Bridgerton."

Benedict chuckled at her politeness. "Oh please, do not refer to me with such politeness, do call me only Benedict." He corrected her, and that wish made her quite...comfortable. "And I believe you are correct, I haven't seen my name on the Whistledown pamphlets yet, there is not much to talk about me....and I wouldn't wish to be either." Bellatrix chuckled.

"Oh, but isn't that boring my lord? How will I discover your most sordid secrets then?" She teased as he calmly made step boxes with her across the ballroom.

"Well, if you ask so gently, I may answer all your curiosities instead." He grinned, showing his dimples with no shame. "But I am afraid to tell you, I do not have any secrets."

"No secrets? That can't be." She scoffed.

"I can assure you, I am a simple man of no secrets." He leaned a bit toward her and scrunched his nose. "Are you a woman of secrets, your highness?"