4

"THE PRINCESS HERSELF! ISN'T THAT EXTRAORDINARY?" Penelope Featherington was radiant with the news, she couldn't be more excited that night.

"I do not understand why you are so joyful because of a simple woman." Eloise rolled her eyes. "She is just as human as both of us, but the ton is enthusiastic with her appearance, especially Whistledown. "She holds the pamphlet in her hands. "She couldn't stop praising and admiring the princess, looks even like a fan of her. Which is strange, hence she keeps challenging the queen every time."

"Well, maybe Lady Whistledown just admired her performance." Penelope shrugged her shoulders as the two crossed their arms together and made their way through the ballroom.

Eloise shook her head as they avoided a collision with a couple that danced nearby, the soireé was full of life and energy as always, but even greater that night because of the recent news regarding the royalty. The decorations, the glamour, the food, everything was close enough to perfection.

"Or maybe, Whistledown is only waiting for an opportunity to strike the queen's power again." Eloise looked at Penelope, who tried not to show any vulnerability to her words. "She is playing nice, but once the princess commits a single mistake, she will go merciless on her." Eloise's correct guesses almost scared Penelope, who only smiled agreeing.

"Yes, maybe you are right. Well, for now, I only want to enjoy the ball, not a war." She chuckled nervously. "What about you? Looking for a suitor, I expect."

Eloise rolled her eyes and sighed. "That is the least I expect." She groaned frustrated. "And this dress is killing me, I can't wait for all of this to be over."

Penelope giggled at her friend's words, yet couldn't help but notice something across the saloon. "Looks like your brother is thinking the same as you."

The two look at Anthony with Violet, surrounded by a crowd of young debutants extremely eager to make the Viscount sign their dance cars and waiting for a proposal. The situation made the two girls laugh, Anthony seemed stuck in a fishbowl filled with sharks.

"What are you two gossiping about?" Benedict approached with a smile. "Do care to share."

"Our brother fell on Mama's trap and now is overwhelmed by a hysterical feminine attack," Eloise smirked pointing across the room, where Anthony tried his best to keep his charming composure.

"My, my, maybe tonight he will meet his future Viscountess after all." Benedict chuckled.

"But is he looking for a wife though?" Penelope asked discretely in search of more information. "After all according to the pamphlets regarding his reputation..."

"Miss Penelope Featherington, you shouldn't believe in everything Lady Whistledown says." Benedict defended his brother in a light-hearted way. "Anthony may be a prominent and intense lover of his carnal wishes, but he does not step away from his duty. He is the most responsible man I've ever met since our father."

"Aww, that is so sweet!" Eloise mocked her brother and he gave her a light push on her shoulder to make her quiet.

"I suppose you must be correct." Penelope nodded calmly. "But what about you, Mr.Bridgerton? Are you in search of a wife this season as well? You are of age."

"Penelope!" Eloise chuckled and tapped her shoulder. "What's with all these questions, do you seek to marry one of my brothers?" Penelope turned suddenly nervous and quickly glanced at Colin Bridgeton across the saloon.

"Of course not." The redheaded replied with a small smile. "I am just trying to keep a conversation."

"It is alright, my sister, I don't mind," Benedict said sweetly to Eloise. "As an answer to your question, Penelope, I am not in a hunt as my brother is, but who knows? I am always willing to keep my heart open for whatever new inspiration strikes me." He grinned charmingly.