15 - Two is better than one

𝐕𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐖𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐄

"Welcome to the Pandora's box challenge with your partner you must find three Pandora boxes to give immunity to both of you, we will give each of you a weapon to defend yourself and your partner," Marie said.

I watch as her eyes scan our faces watching in such admiration of what's going to take place here.

Our faces watch the intricate patterns of the maze before us, many dead ends, and details that weave into the next one like a never-ending cycle.

Benjamin passes every weapon to each heir standing in a straight line and stops in front of me watching me with a blank stare, then moves on.

"May the best heir win" Claire says, not turning her head to face me and her voice just a faint whisper only for me to hear.

I give her hand a faint squeeze and say, "I wish the same for you as well."

With that, Mr. Wellington's shadow appears right behind us and raises the sound gun it goes off and we disperse into the maze.

Taking off without any hesitation or second thought, eyes scanning the area and hands searching through the greenery.

Crouching down and hands digging through the bushes with the sun's heat burning my skin painfully, until feeling a leather box with a golden imprint of a lion at the front.

I smile raising to my feet and a hand yanks me quickly into a hiding spot, but I elbow fast enough and hear a groan of pain.

"Oh God" Chase pauses. "My nose is definitely broken at this point."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to elbow you that hard I swear" I say, almost dropping the box for it to be free game and quickly recover it.

"I swear I just saw her come this way" Catherine says, her face red and sweat dripping down her body, drawing her head in every direction.

Me and Chase crouch down in the quite narrow space, our faces a few inches apart watching as a stream of blood comes down his nose.

"I know, I know and I'm telling you the truth Catherine, I did see her come this way" Claire interrupts, carrying a bow and arrow in her left hand following behind her soft footsteps.

Those footsteps fade off into the background and peek around both corners one, two, three times for good measure.

"Wait, let me keep the box while you search for the other one" Chase says, wiping a few beads of sweat from his brow and his hand reaching out watching as a few veins rise to the surface of his arm.

Stop it, Vivian this is not the time or the place for this.

"Sure" I respond, placing the box in his hands and heading off into the rest of the maze to find the next one.

As soon as I round the corner there's Benjamin in front of me and Jean staring me down, intimidating me to be afraid and back down.

"Just give me the box and I'll let you go, Vivian"Benjamin says, circling me like a predator stalking its prey.

"I don't have it, see" I respond, backing away from him and raising my arms high enough to prove my innocence to him.

Circling around the water foundation in the middle of the maze, Benjamin lunges at me and I draw backward then lunges again. But, loses his footing, his body falling back and his head hits the foundation blood staining it immediately.

I run, just run away from the scene watching as his body goes limp and eyes go wide almost out of the socket.

Close enough to cross the finish line, until Catherine rams into me head-on and knocks me off balance hitting the hard gravel beneath me.

"I deserve to win this not you Vivian you don't deserve it!" Catherine screams wilding adding a sinister smile to it with strands of hair sticking to her face.

Feeling sharp nails digging deeply into my flesh drawing blood, and seeing my flesh under her fingernails makes me sick to my stomach.

"No, you don't deserve this prize you crazy bitch!" I say, pushing her weightless body off me and grabbing the free box and crossing the finish line.

Walking close to the fountain with a wooden box with three medium-sized holes for the pandora box to fit into.

I place the box in the middle hole and rotate the box until it clicks into place, then out of breath Chase appears by my side clenching his side, and his hand soaks in his blood, with the last pandora box in his grasp.

Flashing yellow lights illuminate the word 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑!

A/ N

Hey! How do we feel about the first challenge in this book?

What would you do if you had to do this challenge with a friend or family member?