prologue

"I didn't kill Claire Genevieve," I say, running through the grounds of the Wellington Manor, hands covered in blood that's not my own

The moonlight's presence cast a shadow over my golden dress and lined it with the pear necklace gifted by my grandmother.

Dark thick crimson liquid covered and a given splattered stain across my face, with the faded moonlight overshadowed me.

Running through the thick brushes and large trees with twisted branches, a sharp end of a tree scratched my face with blood that bubbled to the surface.

A woman called from the balcony saying "Find Vivian Hawthorne!" her face twisted in a fit of rage. After her given orders, a rush of security guards immediately searched every open space.

Small beads of sweat covered my forehead and wanted to use my hand to get rid of the moisture. But, I can't do it, it'll make me look even more guilty than before.

A hand covered my mouth, eyes widened with fear and great dread, and bit down hard on the person's hand.

"Ow, I can't believe you bit me!" Chase said, clutched his hand carefully messaged it, then took a few steps in front of me.

"What I didn't know that you were gonna be out here" I breathed out a heavy sigh and casted my eyes to the starry sky.

"Wait," Chase paused. "Did something happen to you?"

"No, nothing happened to me... I just wanted to stop the bleeding, there was too much blood" I replied, pressed and interlaced my fingers together, and felt the slippery liquid.

Our words ceased as heavy footsteps of the guards barked orders to one another, and the illuminated flashlights lit up the wooded area all around us.

A moment or two went by, the chill air blew through the trees on their own accord. Loose goosebumps raised all over my exposed arms.

Chase shrugged off his suit jacket and placed it gently over me, poked his head out the side of the brick wall of the manor with sharpened ridges within the concrete itself.

His hand grabbed mine without another second to waste, we ran through the grounds at a quickened pace. Guided me to the left side of the wing of the manor and opened the door of a spare bathroom.

Chase's finger flicked on the light switch and breathed out a heavy sigh, and rested his head against the door with a soft thud.

"Wait, Vivian my jacket" Chase paused. "I need it back."

"Well my hands are covered in blood still, unless you want blood stains on your jacket" I replied, checked my reflection in the large bathroom mirror.

"Actually" Chase began, pushed himself off the door and took off the jacket from around me, slipped it back on his like a second skin.

Before my hands went under water twisted off my favorite ring and set it on the ledge. The running water on my hands felt better, and a mixed concoction of blood also water ran down the drain.

I looked closely and found small remnants of blood stuck underneath the corners of my fingernails.

"You still have the ring?" Chase asked, stopped a few paces behind me.

His gaze burned through my reflection and played in the mirror. Picked up the ring rinsed it under the water, dried it off with a luxurious hand towel with the Wellington emblem stitched towards the bottom.

"Yes, I do have this ring it still means a lot to me," I say, turned my body in his direction, looked up, and met his very gaze.

He nodded in agreement to my words, cleared his throat, and backed away from me. Though there was a faint smile on his face.

His mind traveled back to those memories of us, that should've been forgotten long ago for his own good. But, that's what happened when the mind remembered a moment it shouldn't.

"Look, I won't tell anyone about this" Chase said, he casted his eyes to the circular stain of blood noticed on the bathroom countertop, then back to me.

Though his hands were smeared with Claire's blood and came to the sink beside mine, took off his family's ring washed off the blood that never belonged to him.

"Hmm, that's interesting you scratch my back and I scratch yours deal" I answered, slipped back on my heels, and inspected my dress for any signs of blood on it.

"Yes, Goodnight Vivian," Chase said, disappeared through the bathroom door and off into the dead of night.

I slipped away from the room and made my way to the given room, carefully tiptoed across the floor. Until, the shower stopped and a familiar figure entered the room.

"Where have you been?" Catherine questioned, her naked body wrapped in a towel, while eminent of hot steam was very evident from her skin.

COMING SOON 2024!