006. SCUBA

Scarlett was sitting next to Pope on the couch, resting her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes while he was reading. Kie was on the other couch playing the bongos softy while JJ was throwing rocks a few feet away.

"Look, I'm callin' it off. All right?" John B spoke up and everyone shifted their attention to him. "Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ scoffed as he threw another rock.

"Yes, I believed her, JJ." He shrugged as the boys began an argument. The tension in the air has been thick ever since the Kegger last night when JJ pulled a gun on Topper.

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." Scarlett stared at the blonde boy, feeling sorry for him that everyone was mad at him for doing that. She understands why he did it. I mean, he was going to drown John B. Nobody is grateful that JJ saved John B.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out. And it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun." John B began yelling at the boy.

"You know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass. I should've just let him get away with hurting Star, right?" JJ clenched his jaw when he remembered watching Scarlett get punched by the Kook. He looked over to the girl to see her fidgeting with her fingers. He has noticed that she does that when she gets nervous.

"Topper was gonna drown me? Really? Also, Scarlett could've defended herself and you know that." John B rolled his eyes. For some reason, he thinks Topper wasn't going to drown him. He was getting his head held underwater while he couldn't breathe.

"Sure looked like he was gonna drown you. I mean, have you looked in a mirror? Have you seen Scarlett's face?" He pointed at her, referring to the huge purple bruise on her cheek that was almost identical to John B's black eye. She had to lie to Ward and say that she tripped and hit her face on a rock really hard.

"Tell me some more. Come on." The brunette began to get defensive as the argument carried on.

"They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" JJ punched one of the circular buoys that hung above his head out of anger. "Goddamn!" He exclaimed, walking a few feet away in an attempt to cool himself off.

"Look, it's okay!" Kie tried to calm the boy down as he walked away.

"No, it's not okay!" The blonde boy turned around. "It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." He pointed at John B. "I know you do."

And I understand why you don't wanna go." JJ pointed towards Pope. "You're the golden boy. You have way too much to risk. And you-" he turned to Kie. "I mean, you and Star are already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you guys bother." Both of the girls shared an annoyed look. "But you and me, man, we got nothin' to lose! We really don't, all right?" JJ's voice broke slightly as he said it.

"JJ." John B muttered and shook his head.

"And I know it didn't always use to be that way for you."

"I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to talk about this." John B began to walk away, slightly shoving JJ with his shoulder as he did so.

"So that's it?"

"Just get out of my way, bro." John B rubbed his temples. He was so exhausted from all of this.

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan." JJ spoke. Kie, Scarlett, and Pope all shared a Look. Usually, Star was on JJ's side with everything, but he was trying to make John B do something he very clearly didn't want to do.  "You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right?" Scarlett immediately snapped her head over to JJ and furrowed her brows.

"No. JJ." John B muttered.

"Yeah, what the hell?" Scarlett stood up.

"There's scuba gear inside. We borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man." JJ wrapped his arm around John B's shoulder, beginning to get in his face in an attempt to convince him. "You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"

"You realize you are talking about stealing from my family's boat right in front of me, right?" Scarlett spoke up, crossing her arms over her chest and staring at the boys.

Everyone turned so their eyes we all on Scarlett. JJ stared at her, scared she would be upset with him for coming up with the idea to steal from her family. She ended up giving in. "Okay. Okay, fine." She shook her head, pursing her lips.

"Thank you, Star." JJ walked up to the girl, picked her up, and spun her around in a circle.

"Just please, don't ruin any of my family's scuba gear while we are using it. Please. I'm just as loyal to my family as I am to you guys, and I feel like shit doing this, okay?" She spoke up to all of them. Everyone nodded and smiled at her. "Okay, let's do this shit."

____________

LIV SPEAKS!

Hey guys!! I decided to make this chapter kind of short bc the other ones were so long. Also, I wasn't even going to add this argument because it's unnecessary but I just wanted a little filler chapter.

I love how protective JJ is over Scarlett. He's like so mad that she's hurt that he can't even control his anger. He would do anything for her it's so cute.

Also, Pope and Star are the cutest besties ever. Like Scarlett falling asleep on Pope's shoulder while he's just peacefully reading a book is so freaking adorable🥹

ITS LITERALLY CHRISTMAS EVE GUYS!!! I hope that you all have an amazing day and open lots of gifts!! Stay warm and stay safe.

I'm sorry but I might have to delay chapter 7. I have been so busy these past few days that I haven't had time to sit down and write a chapter. I have been doing good with the daily updates so I'm very sorry I have to delay the next chapter. I will try to have it out by maybe December 26. I might even be able to get it out tomorrow, but I'm not sure. I promise I will get right back to daily updates!!!

1140 words