Ch. 22: I Wanna' Be Like You

The next morning was better. But not by much.

Last night, after we had found The Firebird feather, we had settled down to camp for the night. I had fallen asleep before everyone else. And then that dream happened. I had replayed it over and over in my mind since then. I realized it was just the The Firebird Suite segment from Fantasia 2000, and I was seeing it from The Spring Sprite's point of view. But the entire experience still scared me. I don't know why. Not only was it a dream, but I had seen that movie hundreds of times. I wasn't the least bit scared of it. But yet, for some reason, I was now.

Maybe it was because it was the first time I had seen it from a first person view, but even so, it shouldn't have scared me that much.

As dawn approached we began packing up our camp, putting out the fire and whatnot. I didn't really feel comfortable telling my friends about my dream. Not that I was scared of telling them, but....well I don't really know why I didn't tell them. I think it was a sense of pride that kept me from telling them. I was supposed to be this mighty hero that wasn't scared of anything. But to be honest, I have never been more scared in my life. Even when my mom came to my freshman homecoming because she forgot to take a picture of me and my date. That was horrible. She was wearing her bright pink "HOT MAMA" t-shirt. The words were sparkly. Sparkly. I was scarred for life.

But The Firebird was worse. Not by much, but still worse.

Once we were all ready to go, it was still very early. It wasn't too dark. I could still make out the area around me.

"So." I asked to my group. "Now what?"

Hercules shrugged. "You're the team leader."

I shook my head. "No I'm not. You are."

Hercules shook his head right back at me. "I'm just protection. Tiana, Perry, Buck, Dodger and I are only here because of you. We survived New York City, and we braved The Hundred Acre Woods. Now we've found a clue to this problem. And you know what, Jamie? It's all because of you."

Tiana nodded. "You were the only one who had any idea of what that feather was, or what it belonged to. You, along with Dodger, beat up those nasty Disney Villains while the rest of us were knocked out cold."

Dodger smiled. (Again, creepy to see a dog smile.) "If it weren't for you, Jamie, I may not be standing here today."

"GGGRGGGRRGG." Perry imputed. A long speech of how heroic and manly I was, no doubt. Just condensed into platypus language.

Buck shrugged. "They're right, Jamie. Accept it. Even I say you kicked butt. And I'm supposed to be the one and only butt-kicker here. Good job."

I was shocked at their words. I didn't realize how important I was, and all I had done. Because, really, what was I to the team? Hercules was an invincible god, Tiana was a quick thinker, and a great cook. Perry had years of crime fighting skill under his belt, not to mention his size that allowed him to be fast and agile. Dodger was a dog, and being a dog, he could jump high, run fast, and use sharp teeth designed for breaking bones in half. And as for Buck, he was chock full of adrenaline, and loved to fight. Plus, his hoofs gave him an advantage when he needed to knock someone's lights out. Not to mention he was the fastest member of the group, not including Pegasus, who, if in a fight, could hold his own as well. Me? I was just an Earth boy. I had many flaws. I was the only one of the team who could physically die, I wasn't fast, I wasn't strong, I wasn't a quick thinker, and the only weapon I owned was a magic ring, which was not a bad weapon, but it doesn't make me feel powerful, really. It just means I have a strong weapon. It doesn't make me strong, fast or smart. I was just me.