Part 21

Neteyam headed out, his heart swollen and his eyes soft. He watched the babies quickly, feeling sicker in his stomach each time until he couldn't continue moving.

" I can't." Neteyam stated.

" Can't what?" Kiri turned, she too felt low.

" I can't leave my love. Mother—I'm so sorry. I have failed you." Neteyam cried.

Neytiri frowned and looked towards both her kids, she was heartbroken as well. She knew how much her kids have bonded with the children—one mating in fact.

" You may go back. Take your loved ones." Neytiri whispered.

" Oh mom, I can't leave you." Kiri whispered.
" May—I bring him with me?!" She questioned suddenly.

Neytiri smiled but she didn't speak. She breathed out and looked to Jake. Jake nodded, she knew his mate's heart was sore from all the growing up.

" That is up to you, hurry back there now. You shouldn't waste time." Neytiri smiled.

Kiri and Neteyam looked at each other and then back to their parents. Tears welled up in their eyes as they knew this was their parting. They kissed their parents goodbye. They started to head off and looked once more back at their parents—they were aging.

" Let's go now." Kiri stated and Neteyam wiped some of his fallen tears.

Neteyam nodded and they left. It was a slow ride back, nearly 6 hours. They had to keep it at a slow pace due to the young babies on board of the ikran.

" There! I see the land!" Kiri exclaimed.

" I can't wait...I've missed him and it hasn't even been a day." Neteyam breathed out.

" You sick puppy." Kiri chuckled, moving closer just to look over at Me'alti.
" Those babies really can sleep through anything.

[...]
Ao'nung worked on dinner, it was his first night alone. He was sad, pitiful for himself. He hated that. He missed his babies, his mate. He felt sick and decided to take a walk.
Ao'nung walked slowly and quietly, his eyes staring out at the ocean. He touched his arms, unable to do much so he just rubbed his arm.

" Ao'nung! Ao'nung!" A warrior called as Ao'nung walked quietly.

" Yes?" Ao'nung turned quickly.

" They have arrived." The warrior stated and Ao'nung nodded.

They. They meant the other forest clans, he had called a meeting in order to discuss trade routes between all the clans. He was heartbroken yes, but what he pulled today wasn't proper—according to his father.
He walked quickly and Tsireya was there to meet him halfway with jewels and decorations so he would look more 'presentable'.

" You ready?" Tsireya asked and he nodded.

" I am." Ao'nung said and fixed his hair into a ponytail.

It was around the same time to which Neteyam and Kiri arrived that so did the other clan. They locked eyes and Neteyam was quick to call a warrior to help him get the babies off.

" Call Ao'nung, hurry." Neteyam stated.

The warrior nodded but Ao'nung had already arrived. They locked eyes and Neteyam flushed at his beauty. His hair—it looked large but so beautiful and curly. His body was covered with a weaved 'cloak'. He had jeweled headpieces and he watched as Ao'nung walked up slowly.

" Neteyam? What—what are you doing here?" Ao'nung whispered and he watched the warrior move away.

" I came back, I couldn't. I'm sorry—you think I'm a coward." Neteyam breathed out but Ao'nung slapped him.
" Uh-?"

Ao'nung kissed him and cupped his face tightly. He held his face and the world stopped. He only cared about Neteyam in that moment.

" Ao'nung?" Neteyam whispered.

" You—you promise not to leave me again?" Ao'nung asked coldly.

" I won't." Neteyam whispered.
" Just kiss me one more time just to make sure."

Ao'nung rolled his eyes but he couldn't help but smile. He hugged Neteyam's neck and he kissed Neteyam's lips one more time.

" I love you." Ao'nung said.

" I love you—forever Ma'Nung." Neteyam smiled.