Chapter 12 - Apart [2]

Y/n laughed through all the performance, occasionally stepping back or away from unwanted touch. She walked out right before the end, gasping for the cold air that stung coming in through her nose, but was rather welcome. Her jacked obviously on, in her hair a bride with veil, puff of breath visible in the could weather even if the sun was up shining over them all, view of the glistening lake almost breath taking.

"Hey there, how are you holding up?" A voice from behind her. She turned around keeping her jacket closed with her hands, she wasn't planning on staying outside much. And there she was Five's Ex in her puffy jacket, warm beverage in hand steaming.

Dolores was a good looking woman, her cheeks high, her eyes clear, her hair of an ash blonde that seemed natural but it could be discussed. She was tall and dressed really well, her features seemed to be European but what really gave it away was the almost un-hearable accent that didn't really put her anywhere across the map, just proved that she had something else that wasn't from here.

Y/n pulled her smile, she didn't really know what to think of this woman. The first time they met Dolores had eyes only for Five, clearly not interested in talking with her if not to acknowledge the incoming marriage. "I'm good, lots of heat in there." She joked pointing at the bar where the strip show was wrapping up. Dolores nodded sipping at her cold beverage, silence falling between them, it was not comfortable at all. Y/n could feel the presence of the woman and tried not to back up by staring straight at her.

"Y/n, right? Reginald kept on calling Danielle but it didn't seem right, sounded too much like my name." Dolores was warm, yes, but her body looked like the one of a mannequin, stiff even when basking in emotional glow. Her expression was pretty much the same right now, like it was painted directly on her and it couldn't change much.

"Took a notice on that." Y/n pressed her lips together. "Dolores, right? Fancy name, may I ask you where are you from?"

"Italy. Came by to study Marin biology, got stuck with Five and his Wonderfull family." She explained walking stiffly towards her. Y/n had thee feeling to step back, intimidated by the walk of the woman in front of her, but she kept her ground, head slightly lifting. It was not like she felt threatened, she was just weirded out. "It can be overwhelming, with the Hargreeves here. Little different than New York, huh?"

"Yeah... but like every place is. Ever been there?" She asked trying to have a normal conversation, she seemed like she wanted to chat and Y/n was really fine with it, never turned down small talks.

"No... that was always Five's dream, not mine. I got a lake to research." She took a turn to finally stand beside her and look at the view Y/n was previously looking at. Y/n stood on the other direction for a second before realizing she was actually trying to bond, or something like that, she turned slowly glancing at the other woman's hair before assuming a similar positions to her. Both of them with their arms on the wooden railing.

"You guys where pretty serious, huh?" Asked Y/n wanting to know more about how five could be in a normal, not fake, relationship.

"We met online the last years of high school and dated through university when his father managed to fly me in the states. But that's not really why I came here to talk to you." Dolores was glancing at the inside of her cup, probably basking at the warmth of the steam still coming out of it. She then looked to the side a Y/n that was already looking at her from a few seconds before. "I want him to stay, his father wants him to stay with the family."

Y/n said nothing, kept staring at her waiting for the next part from the other woman but... was that all? So what? Was she to do something about it? This all fake marriage is done so he can stay in the states. But she needs him at New York, her career could end without him around. Not that he was her golden ticket, he actually was the only ticket that assured her place where she had always been. "What do you mean with that?"