Chapter Nine

When Zhan entered came to the office next day, he found three roses on his table. He happily picked it up and brought it to his nose to smell it. He was sure the flowers were from Yibo even though there was no card attached.

"Hey, who's that from?" Ziyi just arrived.

"There's no card attached" He arranged the three flowers in the pencil holder. He didn't want to tell his friend that he was sure it was from Yibo.

"Your new admirer still wants to suspend you, huh?" Ziyi teased.

The other employees present were also teased Zhan. He was about to start work when the intercom on Ziyi's desk rang.

"Please answer, Zhan. Sir Haikuan wants me to find something," said Ziyi who was in the Zhan stood up and picked up the receiver. "Hello."

"Zhan, please."

"Alen?" He knew his voice and frowned.

"Zhan. Did you receive the roses?"

Zhan was suddenly disappointed. The flowers are from Alen and not WYB.

"What are those flowers for, Alen?" he asked coldly. "I'm sure they're expensive. You've wasted money on them."

"Don't be cruel, Zhan. That's my peace offering, please forgive me."

"I'm not mad at you anymore, Alen. But you can't rekindle old flames. And I don't want to..." He could almost say he already had a boyfriend.

"I don't believe you. I also want to talk to you about why mom said last night that you left the house. It's not very clear but someone called the house and asking if you owe mom anything. Who is that, Zhan? And where do you live now?" Alen demanded.

"Office hours, Alen, and I'm on probation. Let's talk again later".

"I'll be down there at break time." And before Zhan could refuse, Alen already cut the intercom on the other line.

Irritated, ZHan returned to his seat and grabbed the flowers and threw them in the wastebin.

"Hey, why did you throw those away?" Ziyi.

"It's from Alen."

"Oh?"

"I don't even know what else to tell him to make him believe that I don't want to get back together with him anymore." He said while he sat down on his chair.

"Then tell him the real reason and I'm sure he won't bother you again. And by the way, how was your first night in your new place? Where was it?" Ziyi's question had an underlying meaning that she couldn't help but voice out.

"Come on, Ziyi. I slept alone. We just ate out and then he drove me home."

Ziyi looked slightly embarrassed. "I am sorry that I feel sorry for you. You need a real relationship. Someone you could look forward to becoming a husband."

"I know and you're forgiven." He smiled and told his friend the address and phone number of the townhouse.

Ziyi could barely hide her shock at finding out where he lived.

"And WYB said the unit belongs to his friend?" Ziyi asked cautiously. She knows that the Wang's own the townhouse at the address Zhan gave her. And if that's what WYB told Zhan, she has no right to tell him the truth.

Zhan nodded then sighed. "But no matter what I avoid him, that's where we'll end up, Ziyi. Just Yibo said, I can't escape forever."

Ziyi didn't answer and just looked at him. What else can be said to her friend?