Chapter One

Zhan happily welcomed his boyfriend, Alen.

"Hi," he said and put his arm around his boyfriend's waist. "It's good that you're early today. I have a surprise for you..."

Alen's eyebrows rose as he smiled. "Oh?"

"Yap. And you'll be proud of me." He led his boyfriend to the large leatherette sofa and both of them sat down. His two hands are still clinging to Alen's arm.

"I'll make a wild guess," said Alen who raised his hand and put his arm around Zhan. "Is this a surprise that you agree to go out with me?" And he approached Zhan and was about to kiss him on the lips but Zhan avoided him.

Zhan rolled his eyes and moved away from Alen slightly. "You talk as if it's like I don't go out with you every once in a while."

"You know what I mean, Zhan," Alen reached out again and gave him a firm kiss on the lips.

And Zhan quickly escape from him.

"Alen, stop it! I can't tell you about the surprise if you are like this." He backed away a little from Alen.

"Oh, okay fine," said Alen who was forced to be formal. "What exactly is that surprise?"

Zhan let out a sweet smile. "Starting Monday I have a job..." he declared and stared at Alen's face and waited for a reaction.

"That's a surprise," said Alen and a smile gradually appeared on his lips. Dimples appeared on both cheeks that made his handsome face even more. "You didn't tell me you applied for a job?"

"I really meant not to tell you. And do you know where I applied and got accepted right away?" Zhan said.

Alen pretended to think, it was obvious that he was just giving in. "Okay, where?"

"In WYB Engineering. I was accepted as a secretary-clerk in HR Department," Zhan said excitedly, ignoring the shock on his boyfriend's face. He thought he was surprised and at the same time excited.

"To WYB Engineering!" Alen exclaimed.

"Yap," Zhan continued. "They advertised a week ago in the newspaper and I applied right away. And I passed the qualifying exams with flying colors!" Zhan's voice was full of confidence and excitement.

"That's really a surprise, Zhan," Alen answered seriously as he stood up. "You should have told me that you intend to apply to the company I work for, so I can stop you."

A smile faded from Zhan's lips. Alen did not hide the irritation in his tone.

"Alen," Zhan said patiently. "I don't need your permission for me to work. We're not married yet." Zhan thought that Alen was angry because Zhan was hired by the same company he was working for.

"Doesn't it matter to you that we are lovers? Don't I have the right to deprive you of anything you do?" Alen's tone rose.

Aren't you happy that I got a job this easy?" Zhan asked softly. Trying to hide his irritation. His eyes followed every movement of Alen who walk in front of him.

"You just graduated two weeks ago. You don't need to rush to work right away." said Alen.

"That is precisely my point, Alen. I have graduated already, and it is only appropriate that I look for a job so I can support myself. I will not depend on Jie Lulu anymore," argued Zhan who was referring to his aunt who is the younger sister of his mother. (But he calls her Jie instead of Aunt.)

Since the death of his parents in an accident two years ago, Lulu has supported him in his studies. She is also the one who advised Zhan to find a different environment in order for him to forget the tragedy of his parents. Not in the very place where he will always remember the freak vehicular accident.