Chapter 18

Armor clanked against armor, teeth and claws clashed, barks and howls of pain and rage filled the air. Vines and fire, water and air, lightning and ice collided as blood splattered on the battlefield.

All five packs were now a part of the war. The Earth, Ice, and Water packs were on one side, while the Fire and Sky packs were on another. Two of the Alpha's that had joined were dead.

Despite what may seem like uneven odds, with three packs against two, the Earthen and Icen Packs numbers were dwindling, and most of the wolves on that side were actually Water wolves.

Ash looked around through the throng of the battle for any signs of Storm or Aqua. He hoped that both of them were okay..

Aqua might have been on the opposing side, but he would hate himself if anything bad had happened to her.. After all, he still harbored some feelings for her.. Even after all these years.

After a little while, he spotted Storm.. and he looked like he was in trouble.

The Fire Alpha dodged under claws and jumped over the bodies of fallen soldiers, speedily making his way towards his ally and friend. Storm was trapped!

As he got closer he saw that it was a Water wolf that had him pinned to the ground, jaws hovering just above his neck.

The Fyren wolf was just about to tackle her off of him when he recognized her ocean blue eyes. He froze, indecision in his features. His ally and friend.. Or his love?

At that moment, Storm noticed him standing there. "Get her!" he growled raspily.

Aqua's eyes snapped to Ash, her eyes wide as she stared at him.

He looked from one to the other, unable to decide. "Get her!" Storm yelled again, louder.

Ash hesitated still, then looked at Aqua. Their eyes locked with each other, each pleading with the other. Begging.

He knew what she wanted. She wanted him to join her in finishing Storm. So that this could be finished.. Once and for all. But he couldn't.. He couldn't go against his friend.. He couldn't break his word. He already had the blood of Whiteclaw on his paws... he didn't want to be the one responsible for another friend's death...

And yet.. Just as much as he couldn't go against his friend.. He also couldn't go against his love either. He shook his head slightly at Aqua, and she blinked. After a moment of hesitation, she gritted her teeth and leaped off Storm and disappeared into the battling throng.

A moment later, the howls of retreat could be heard, and the Aquek, Earthen and Icen wolves broke away from their opponents and retreated over a hill.

Storm stood up and shook himself off, then cast a venomous glare at Ash before lifting off into the sky.

_____________________________________

"Alpha Storm requests a meeting with you, sir." A Skylek messenger announced.

Ash blinked tiredly, "Right now? It's the middle of the night.." He glanced over at his sleeping son before looking back at the messenger in front of him outside his den entrance.

The messenger nodded, "Yes sir. He said it's quite urgent."

Ash sighed, "Alright..where is he?"

"In the Meeting Hall, sir."

"Thanks.. I'll be right over."

The Skylek wolf dipped his head before padding off.

Storm sat at the large stone table, his tail tapping on the floor impatiently. Finally, a knock was heard at the entrance, "Come in," he called gruffly.