Keep My Hand In Yours

Olysia was fashioned in her best, anti-glare goggles that did not fit her face. She was standing next to David, going over last minute adjustments. Once Nikolai and his posse of generals and advisors showed up, she swiftly walked away and moved to her position next to Zoya.

"We're sure this is not going to blow us up?"

Olysia turned slowly to look over at Zoya and just stared at her.

"Questions normally receive answers."

"They do, when they're not stupid ones." Olysia focused on the dish.

"Someone did not get their eight hours of sleep." Zoya scoffed.

"And I intend to make it everyone's problem." Olysia shot back. "Starting with you I see."

Zoya held back a smirk, she missed the small jabs they threw at each other. "Just pay attention to the whistle."

"It doesn't take all my brainpower to focus on that one little thing." Olysia threw a shady glance in Sergei's direction.

"Something we both can agree on." Zoya followed her eyes.

They stood there as everyone nervously stood there waiting for David's whistle, and when it sounded, it started the whole process. Everyone backed away out of fear for their lives.

Another whistle.

Alina summoned light, bursting out from her hands in two steady beams. They struck the dishes, reflecting off them in a blinding glare.

Another whistle.

Olysia shifted the dish forcing the light to bounce off of the mirrored surfaces, multiplying and a chorus of ahhhs followed.

The beams sliced through the air, sending off waves of cascading brilliance and radiant heat. Olysia had to hold the urge to flinch back from how hot it felt.

Another whistle.

The beams fused into a single molten blade of light. Olysia had to look directly to the side of it to avoid being blinded. They tilted to dishes one last time. The beam seared into the lakeshore and then into the lake itself. A wave of steam billowed into the air with an audible hiss, and for a moment, the entire surface of the lake seemed to boil.

A panicked whistle shrill cut the air and the light ceased.

Everyone gravitated towards the edge and gaped at the sight in front of them. The top of the trees were cut in a clean diagonal line from the tip of the tree line to the shore. Where the beam had touched down, the ground was marked by a glowing trench that ran all the way to the waterline.