18.

Lo'ak and Neteyam

Lo'ak knew his chances of saving Payakan diminished when Neteyam approached him. He knew it was mean to think so. He still did.

"No way, you're rolling out of here, baby brother." Neteyam stopped in front of him. Lo'ak could see in his eyes something was off. His first thought was that it was because of this whole situation of the sky people once again attacking, but he felt like there was another reason. He couldn't explain it, though.

Neteyam seemed distant, like he was not really here. Like his thoughts were not where they should be.

Lo'ak stopped himself from expanding this thought.

His problems, not mine.

"I have to warn Payakan about the pingers." Lo'ak started, he thought he could at least try to change Neteyam's mind about stopping him.

"No." Neteyam sighed. "You've gotta keep your skxawng ass here."

Lo'ak's mind started to rush, filling with ideas of how to convince him. Why couldn't Neteyam understand him and what he wanted to do for once?

"He's an outcast. There is nobody to warn him but me."

What's up with him? Why are his ears down?

"Bro. Why do you have to make things so hard?"

Lo'ak went quiet. Just for a moment, but he did. And of course Neteyam realized. 'Shit.' Neteyam thought, realizing at the moment that it was definitely the wrong thing to say. He didn't know when he started to always say the wrong things.

First with Khalo and now with Lo'ak.

But Lo'ak didn't know Neteyam instantly regretted what he just said. SO he shot back. He shot back even harder. He didn't know how to defend his side in any other way than hurting Neteyam's feelings. As Neteyam always hurt his feelings.

"No."

Silence.

"You mean, why can't I be the perfect son like you!" Lo'ak shouted.

Neteyam cringed. He took a moment to realize what Lo'ak had just said. His ears lowered as he stepped away from Lo'ak, bringing some distance between them.

Mentally and physically.

"The perfect little soldier." Neteyam snapped his head back. He did not expect that.

"Well, I'm not you!" Lo'ak expanded. "I'm not you, okay?" Lo'ak just wanted Neteyam to understand.

Neteyam did understand. Of course, he knew Lo'ak wasn't him. But he wished Lo'ak would understand that sometimes Neteyam doesn't like to be him either. He wasn't 'the perfect little soldier' and he didn't want to be one.

"He's my brother." This time, Lo'ak instantly regretted what he said. He saw in Neteyam's eyes how something had switched. How his thoughts were here now.

"I'm going."

"Oh, he's your brother?" Neteyam grabbed Lo'ak's arm and pulled him back.

"No, I am your brother."

Neteyam pointed to his chest. With his fingers. He pointed to his middle chest with his four fingers.

No, Neteyam was not Lo'ak's brother.

Lo'ak was Neteyam's brother, though.

For Lo'ak's luck, Tsireya Ao'nung, Roxto and Khalo arrived at this moment, which made Neteyam lose his grip and gave Lo'ak the chance of leaving.