Ch 15. South America: Part 2.

The sun rose soon after the chaos of gunshots and disarray, but the bright light barely warmed the mood.

John B, Dani, and Sarah traipsed about the mountainside once more, following Big John as they climbed up the makeshift trail.

John B struggled to breathe as he spoke, "We gotta keep moving. Singh and his men can't be far behind us."

"Keep on that heading, northwest. That's the way the hand pointed." Big John gestured before him. "That's home."

Dani passed Big John quietly, surprisingly overtaking the spry man. The same Routledge who was practically running up the mountain the day before was now taking the hike at a significantly slower pace.

John B didn't turn around, also passing his father as he trudged onward. "Pick it up, old man. Let's go."

"I just... I... I need a minute."

John B paused, turning to look at his father in confusion. "You need a minute? What are you talking about? Come on, let's pick it up. Let's go."

Big John leaned against a winding tree trunk, his body angled so that John B and the girls were unable to see the older man's face. He waved a hand back, signaling them to keep moving, "Go on, I'll catch up. I just need a minute to catch my breath."

Dani looked back at John B, slowing her pace as she and Sarah continued forward.

"Sarah, Dani, one sec, alright? We got a straggler."

"Alright," the blonde girl wheezed out, moving to a small clearing above her so that she and Dani could sit and rest for a moment.

Dani followed Sarah, plopping on the muddy ground. Dani was not a fan of dirt and bugs and grime and mud and really anything outdoors in general, but she was already dirty, sweat beading in places no one thought possible.

The two girls did not talk as they waited, of course, they were only waiting about a minute, but still, each was too tired for niceties.

"Come on, Dad." John B emerged from below, leading Big John up a steeper section of the mountain.

"I'm coming, I'm coming."

Sarah lifted her eyes to the sky, gently shushing the Routledge boys. "Shh. Listen. Listen, listen."

Dani tilted her head, glancing at Sarah with a puzzled expression on her brow. "What?"

"Do you hear that?"

Dani listened closely, noting the sound of birds singing loudly and insects chirping in the distance.

"What the..."

John B looked at Sarah with the same look of confusion Dani gave, "What?"

Sarah turned sharply, leveling an indecipherable look at Big John. "Do you remember when you said no tongue but always speaking?"

"How do you know that?"

"I heard you, you were talking to yourself."

John B nodded once, "Yeah, you do-do that."

Big John stared at the blonde, an indecipherable look crossing his face. "'I am nothing but hold everything. No tongue but always...'" Big John glanced at the tops of the trees. "'Speaking.'"

"Dad, she's onto something."

"Oh, my God." Sarah ignored the group, letting the wheels spin in her head and moving forward quickly.

John B didn't hesitate, instantly following his girlfriend. "Let's go."

"What the hell is that?" Big John chuckled, slowly walking behind.