Ch 9. Midsummers.

Dani heard clapping before she could see people, her arm linked with Sarah's as they followed Rose and Ward Cameron into the venue. Dani tried to stay as far from Rose as she could, afraid the woman may take an eye out with the ridiculous headpiece she wore. 

(Imagine Lady Liberty and a porcupine had a baby intent on poking people's eyes out.)

Dani stumbled slightly as Sarah was pulled from her arm. However, Rafe steadied her from behind, a gentle hand on her back. Dani turned around to send Rafe a gracious smile but was surprised with a kiss. It didn't last long, and Dani knew what it was: a publicity stunt. But even still, the girl commanded her brief bout of annoyance to leave her, deciding that going along with Rafe's plan would have better outcomes in the long run. Dani grasped his hand and gave it a squeeze before he left her side, intending to mingle

Dani stood awkwardly behind Sarah as she conversed with Topper, her thoughts looping. Maybe it was time to call it quits? Did Dani like Rafe? Regardless of romantic involvement, did she even like him as a person? Obviously, Dani was self-aware enough to see the relationship for what it was, but... was it worth it anymore? 

Topper noticed Dani lingering, pulling Sarah further away from the small brunette. "Can we talk for a sec?" The blond teen gestured towards a less populated area, guiding Dani's only support away from her.

Dani looked around, feeling very exposed and uncomfortable... Sarah was the only reason she agreed to come to Midsummers.  

By some grace of god, Dani spotted Pope and Kiara standing in a corner, scanning the bystanders and certainly judging the insanity of this kook event. Dani bit her lip, planning her words carefully as she weaved in and out of the partygoers.

"If someone loses an eye, I think we know who is to blame," Dani chuckled, trying to casually converse with the pogues. She squeezed her arms across her chest as she waited for the pair to respond, hoping that her presence would be welcomed.  

The two teens beside Dani broke into smiles as they greeted the girl happily. 

The small brunette could feel herself drop her shoulders, grateful to just be able to stand and observe on the outskirts, surrounding herself with people she wished she were like. If Sarah was going to (unintentionally) ditch her, this was the next best thing. 

Kiara and Pope continued to talk about the guests, Dani listening quietly, content. It was nice; neither Kie nor Pope expected Dani to contribute, but they didn't give her a wide berth or send her nasty looks. They just... were. 

Sarah wandered into view, certainly disheveled. 

"Um, sorry, guys. I gotta go check on Sarah." Dani cringed, knowing that it sounded like she was ditching the pogues for the kook, regardless of her true intentions.

It would always be Kook versus Pogue. 

Dani walked up to her friend, concern and a bit of embarrassment crafting a frown on her mouth. "Hey, are you alright?"

"I just need a drink, and maybe someone to spill a glass of wine down Topper's shirt," Sarah barked a laugh, clearly still stewing over whatever was said between the blonde coupling. 

Dani mimicked the blonde, laughing along. 

It was hard to offer genuine sympathy when Dani was still so wrapped up in her own head, but she didn't like Topper... really, really didn't like Topper.

Sarah shook her head, instantly composing herself after the fact. "Dani. Can we just pretend that boys don't exist and alcohol is legal? Let's just have fun, let loose, drink a little."