¹⁸

Yoon was baffled

Yoon was baffled.

"Mom, what are these?"
"Dinner, of course." the said woman answered.

Yoon sighed internally. Her mom probably just used the whole fridge... again. You see, Mrs Ha has this one problem where she would cook too much food whenever someone's over. To be honest, she wasn't sure if this was a good or a bad thing or maybe both? why? because;

1) the bad thing: there would be leftovers that would go to waste.
2) the good thing: her mom enjoyed this thing. no, she LOVED this.

Yoon always adored how her mom's face lightened up and her eyes literally sparkled everytime she knew guests were coming over. Cooking was her passion. Mrs Ha once told her that if only her parents afford to pay for her college fees, she would probably be a culinary graduate by now but of course her mom would never blame her parents for that. She believed that was just her fate. After all, that was how she met my father.

Should I told you about my parents encounter? Well even if you didn't want to know.. I would still tell you about it lmao.

Long story short, due to financial constraints, my mom started working after she graduated high school. So there was this one chicken restaurant where my mom worked as a waitress then one night a group of college students stopped by (apparently they're having a welcoming ceremony for the juniors).

My mom served them for the night. By the time passed, slowly they were leaving until only a few more left. My mom started to clean up and stayed back for a while because it was her turn to close down the restaurant. While she was locking the door, she noticed one of the college student was leaning outside.

"Going home?" he asked. My mom nodded then ready to go home when the guy suddenly asked if he could walked her home. He even convinced my mom that he was not a weird person and just genuinely thought it would be appropriate to walk her home as the night was getting late. The young Mrs Ha quietly chuckled as she thought that the guy was kinda cute so she agreed. The walk was quiet and comforting as they reached her front door. They waved each other good night and of course they exchanged numbers before parting ways.

"What's your name?" the guy asked. "Go Areum. Yours?"
"Hi Areum, my name is Ha Jaesuk."

So started from that encounter, they became closer until years later, my father decided to propose. The End.

"So, Hyunjae how's work?" Mr Ha asked, while everyone was starting to enjoy the dinner. Yoon shot her dad with a face, Really, dad? He just shrugged and waited for the young man to answer his question. "It's great. Even though I have been feeling kinda stressed lately due to many things but I guess that's the life of someone important in a company." Hyunjae said.

"I see, what's your job again?"
"I am a Head Manager." Mr Ha nodded his head. "No wonder, but I am sure you will be okay. Stress is normal when you're working but overstress is not. Don't take it easy." He advised, as someone who owned a shop, he definitely understood Hyunjae's point of view.

"I am grateful because at least I have a dependable secretary with me. Compared to me, I am sure his burden is far more heavier than mine but he always helps me." Hyunjae said. "Oh! His secretary is my brother!" Hyerim intervened. "Oh? Never knew Younghoon works with you. Are you too close?" Mrs Ha asked. Hyunjae nodded his head. "Very close. We became friends since college."

"Yoon, you're close with Younghoon too, right?" her mom turned to her. "I don't think we are close but yeah he's a friend because we used to be in the same class before." she answered lazily, not particularly interested with the current conversation. "Younghoon hyung is close to me though." Min said. Yoon smirked. "Well, that's because you want to know more about your cru–" her words were cut short as Min threw a broccoli at her face to shut her from exposing his secret right infront of the said crush!! "What the fu–" "No cursing in this household" Mrs Ha announced.

Yoon sighed heavily as she kicked Min under the table. He groaned in pain and kicked her back. "Hey! You little sh–" "Ha Yoon." Her mom called. "He started it first! Are you really not gonna talk about that? He threw a freaking broccoli at my face!" She complained. "Serves you right" Min stuck out his tongue.

"I have one pair of healthy eyes to witness that, thank you very much. Now, you two. Please behave as we have guests with us right now or else you two will be kicked out from the house." Mrs Ha warned as she glared at her children. Min and Yoon cowered at the sight as they obediently nodded their heads. Mr Ha just laughed at her side.

"I am deeply sorry for their behavior, Hyerim, Hyunjae. Please don't let them bother you." her mom said. Hyunjae chuckled slightly as he waved his hands. "No, it's okay. Actually, I am quite entertained. It reminds me of my sister, we used to argue a lot too." He then glanced at his side, where Yoon was. "Besides, I get to see Yoon's new sides as well because she always so cold and mean to me whenever we met."

"Oh, is she really?" her mom said.

"Excuse me?" the said woman asked. "What? It's true. I am your client but you never smiled at me. Not even once, you know?" He revealed. Yoon could not believe her ears as she turned to her parents. "I have my reasons, mom, dad. This guy right here is so annoying and you will probably never believe me because he acts all innocent with you but trust me, he's not." Min and Hyerim who watched the situation, started to put down their utensils to focus on the tea instead.

"I am very offended, Miss Ha. How could you talk about your client like that?" Yoon rolled her eyes. "Oh, I am sorry. Now if you have finished with your dinner, shall I escort you out?" "No, I am not yet finished–" "That's great! Now let's go." Without even waiting for the poor guy to at least get a bite on his shrimp, he was dragged by his collar to the front door.

"Yoon, where are you going? Let him finish his dinner first!" Her mom shouted. "He said he's full, mom. Hyerim, let's go." Min was embarrassed on his sister's behalf but nevertheless bid Hyerim goodbye.

As they reached outside, Yoon released her grip on Hyunjae's collar. "You almost choked me." He whined. "Not sorry, though." She retorted. "Rude." He said under his breath as he adjusted his shirt. "I heard that." "I am glad you heard." Yoon scoffed. "Well, now if you don't mind I am going back in. I wish you two a very good night and have a safe trip. Bye." With then, she walked inside, leaving them confused.

"You like her, do you?" Hyerim asked out of nowhere, smiling teasingly at the adult. "No, I am not. Don't you see how she treated me? There's no way I like her." Hyunjae scoffed. "I don't think so... your reaction shows otherwise." He shook his head. "You know nothing. You're just a kid. Now, come one. Let's go home before your beloved brother thinks I kidnapped his precious sister." Hyerim laughed then skipped into the car.

Hyunjae took a last look at the door before drove away.

"Am I?"