•Seven•

•Family Matters•

My mother, Wanda, looked me up and down, and asked, "Malcolm, why didn't anyone know you're back from the army?" Her disapproval was evident in her tone.

I maintained my composure, and replied, "I've been busy and prefer to keep a low profile. Besides no one asked."

She raised an eyebrow, "Well, dear, in this family, we share our achievements, and trust me when I say this, you ain't nobody special!"

I replied, with a smart tone "As long as I am God's child, I'm all kinds of special but not everybody can be."

Brandon, Byron's wealthy father, instigated, "That's not the way you talk to your mother, Malcolm."

I wanted to say "You ain't my dad!" but God has been working on me. Slightly irritated, raised an eyebrow and asked, "Why did you ask that question mama?"

She replied with a perfectly practiced smile, "Well, darling, it's a good thing you're back in time for Byron's wedding. We need to make sure the family is present for such important occasions."

As the attention shifted towards Byron, I couldn't help but have a sarcastic tone. "Oh, of course, Mother. I wouldn't miss it for the world,"

She was seemingly oblivious to the sarcasm, and continued, "It's crucial for the family image, Byron's wedding is a grand affair, and we must all be there to show our unity and prosperity."

I muttered under my breath, "Unity and prosperity, as always."

Wanda took a sip of her drink and then asked, "So how did the Bachelor's party go?"

We both said at the same time "It was good!"

Then she asked, "Y'all didn't get in any trouble did y'all?"

Byron quickly denied, "No trouble at all, Mother!"

Mama beamed with pride. "I'm so proud of you, Byron. Such a responsible young man."

Her gaze shifted to me, and with tension, as she remarked, "If only Malcolm listened to me as you do, Byron, and took the path I had for him then he might be settling down too."

Before I could respond, Byron intervened with a lie, "Actually, Mom, he has a girlfriend."

Mama raised her eyebrows and then asked, "Really who?"

I glared at him and then lied, "Her name is Desire."

Wanda, puzzled, asked, "Desire? What happened to Karen?"

I replied, with a hint of frustration, "You mean that arranged relationship you forced me into?"

She shrugged, "Y'all would've worked out, she's one of the best real estate agents in the state and-"

"-And I hated her!" I interrupted.

Wanda replied, "No, you didn't! Yall were high school sweethearts."

I exclaimed, "Only because you made us! I dumped her on prom night that relationship was so bad."

Mama, with a dismissive wave, responded, "You would've grown to appreciate her stability. Unlike Byron here, If you listened to me like him, you'd be in a different place now."