CHAPTER 14

“Ah, Madara! I didn’t know you were back from your diplomatic mission,” said Hashirama, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly as he felt his friend's chakra flaring. “I assume you came back early for Izuna,” he tried to converse but Madara just glared at him, his arms crossed in front of his chest. Sakura was standing beside him and sighed. Walking forward, she bowed and smiled. Hashirama smiled back and nodded his head. He can take a guess as to why Madara was in a bad mood, judging from the way Sakura’s face still held a slight flush to it and her lips still a bit swollen from what he can deduce was due to them kissing. His gaze moved to Madara’s, an amused expression on his face.

“I apologize for calling you in on your day off Sakura, but your expertise is needed. I got a letter from the Daimyo that his daughter is ill and requested for you personally to go and tend to her,” he said, passing the scroll over to her. Sakura nodded, accepting the scroll.

“Hn. Understood, I will leave immediately,” she said.

“Who’s her escort?” chimed in Madara who was now standing beside her. Sakura huffed, glaring at Madara.

“I do not need an escort, Hokage-sama” she said in clipped tones, annoyed that he would even suggest such a thing for such a simple mission. But he ignored her, walking towards his desk and sitting down. Her eyebrows twitched in annoyance. Clearly they were both feeling agitated from having been interrupted, but it still grated her nerves at the way he’s acting out.

“Madara, Sakura is a capable kunoichi. You’ve seen her spar. Besides, it's only a two day travel. This wouldn’t be the first time she’s had to travel to heal someone,” Hashirama reasoned with Madara.

“It doesn’t matter. Word travels fast, and if people find out that the best medic of Konoha is traveling on her own, they will do everything they can to get a hold of her. She’s very valuable and too important for us to take that risk,” he countered. Sakura blinked, not expecting that reply from him at all. She wasn’t sure if he was speaking on behalf of Konoha, or if it had a different meaning, but hearing that Madara felt she was important melted some of the anger out of her. Hashirama pressed his lips together, thinking over his words.

“Fine, you make a good argument my friend,” Hashirama sighed in defeat.

30 minutes later, Sakura walked out of the Konoha gates with one Senju escort and one Uchiha escort.

____________

“You couldn’t wait one hour to send that shinobi to Sakura’s house,” Madara growled at his friend. Hashirama chuckled.

“Ah, I see, you were interrupted. Trust me, I know the feeling, so I do apologize for that. But, in my defense, I didn’t think you would be there in the first place,” he smiled at his friend. Putting some scrolls away, he asked Madara about his mission.

“We are to never let the Shimura clan set foot in Konoha. That is final,” Madara said firmly, looking directly into Hashirama’s wide eyes.

“Wha- Hold on Madara, let’s not get too hasty here. We should still give them a chance,”

“Sakura asked me personally not to let them in.” Hashirama froze.

“Sakura? She did?” Madara nodded. Hashirama frowned

“Did she say why?” he asked.

Madara shook his head, also frowning and looking down at the desk. “You should’ve seen her face, Hashi. She was seething with so much hatred at the mere mention of the Shimura clan name. I have a feeling they have something to do with her past that we know little about. Do you think they attacked her and her family?” Madara thought out loud.