Chapter 16

The house felt silent with just me and maa. The silence was eerie as both of us sat in the same room and went on about our own respective work.

'Would you like a cup of tea?' – I ask mumma as I get up in an attempt to stretch my legs. The request goes unanswered as she is fully engrossed in her lesson plans. Stopping in the middle of tying my hair, I poke her shoulder. She nods a yes and I move towards the kitchen.

Just as the water had come to a boil, the doorbell rang. How do these people know the perfect time to come over?

'Meera, beta kon aaya hai?' — Maa yelled from her room. The main door isn't far from the kitchen.

'Dekhti hun Maa.' — I convey back as I reach the main door. There stood a lady about the same age as Maa. There was an unspoken familiarity about her, it felt like I knew her. She was dressed in a plain beige saree as she carried a box of sweets in her hand. What was I feeling?

[Meera, who has come?]

[I am looking Maa]

'Kon hai Meera, batao—' Vijaya stood dumbfounded as her face turned blank for a second. Meera stared at her mother for a good minute and then politely smiled at the lady and invited her inside.

Once settled on the recliner of their drawing room, Meera offered her a glass of tea. Afterall, it was Delhi's winter. The lady seemed to not take her eyes off of Meera.

'Meera, is it really you?' She finally asked as Meera sat down in front of her after keeping the cup of tea in front of her.

All Meera could do was nod at her statement.

'My Arjun found a gem for himself.' She continued and Meera felt her eyebrows relaxing. She was Arjun's mother. The question was when did Arjun break the news to her? And suddenly her heartbeat had picked the pace. What if she doesn't like her? What if she decides that she is not godd enough for her son? Oh Arjun, you should have told me. I would have been prepared. It feels like I am giving a surprise test right now.

[Who is it Meera, tell me]

She leans in closer to me and says,' Is your mother still angry at me?' In all my honesty, I don't know how to answer her. Maa has never brought her up in any of our conversations and neither has Arjun ever told me that our mothers basically know each other very well enough. As I open my mouth to answer her question, Maa beat me to it.

'Yes I am angry Gayatri. I am very angry.' Her name is Gayatri. The name felt as beautiful as her.

'Let it go Viju, it has been ten years already.' Oh my god, what is up with these mysteries? Has evetybody taken a pledge to mess with my brain?

'I can't Gayatri. You shouldn't have left like that. Your loss is also my loss. The minute you moved away I lost my best friend.' Maa seemed to be at the verge of tears.

'That was the darkest night of my life Viju. I am sorry.' Aunty says and Maa breaks down hugging her. All of the aggression and emotion flowing out through her eyes. The rest of the evening was spent with them catching up while I had a little input here and there. I bid her bye and got back to work.

Only when she tucked herself in at night, she started with her letter to Arjun. She has so many things that she wants to say to him and even scold him a little.

Suno Arjun,

I hope Srinager isn't keeping you cold long enough. Along with the country, please do take care of your self. Even if you are in army, you can't resist the cold. Srinagar ki hawa ke saath beh mat jaana. Apni Meera ke paas sahi salaamat aa jana.

You know, both of my jobs are doing well. Although I have evidently cut back on the teaching a bit. But all's for good. Maa has also started feeling a little happy. I troubled her a lot these past days. But you know what happened, Aunty came at our house. She and Maa seemed to have a strange connection. Apparently, they were best friends.

And you mister, you didn't tell me. What do you think of yourself? Pata nahi kya soch rahi honge mere baare mai. Tum bata nahi sakte the mujhe. Baat mat karna.

Anyways, be safe and come back home. I can't wait to hug you.

Tumhari Meera

[Don't flow with the wind of Srinagar. Come back to me safe and sound.]

[I don't know, what she will think of me now?]

[couldn't you have told me]

[Don't talk to me]

It has been long but here it is. I hope you enoy it.