Chapter 18

There has been an attack on the bas camp of the soldiers at Srinagar. The Major has not spoken to us as of yet but the attack seemed huge.’
‘Beta, stay where you are. I am coming.’;
‘There has been an attack.’
‘Base camp, Srinagar.’

Meera could not help herself but fret over the news that was displaying over and over again. Her love was in danger and she was here, in Delhi, hundreds of miles away from him. In what condition would he be?

Her phone was ringing faintly in the background, where she bothered the least to know who it was. Her body froze and her mind was numb. God knows what was keeping her from blacking out at that moment. A nurse came into the picture as she picked up the ringing phone and handed it to Meera.

It was Khushi. She was calling at such bad timing. Meera let it ring as she desperately tried to gather her strength.

Vijaya Aunty rushed into the hospital and there she saw Meera, on the ground, numb. the plus point of the situation being that she had experienced it all. She knew the right thing to say at that moment.
Meera in her closed eyes could see Arjun in front of her. He seemed alright but just a little tired.
Oh, how tired he must feel. I wonder if he's even sleeping properly.

I could feel a certain warmth resonating in my back. As I look up from the floor, I am met with the comforting gaze of my mother. How was she always present when I needed her? I didn’t realise the tears were streaming down my face until I felt the wetness of her kurta. I wish I could gather myself up, I hate putting her in this situation.

A little while later, we sat at the bench and the cries had eventually died down as she reasoned with me.

‘Why don't you try contacting him?’She said

I did take a second to go over it but how in the world am I going to contact him when he is miles away in Srinagar without a cellular phone.

‘I can’t Maa, he is not having a cellular phone with him. There’s simply no way.’
‘Never say never, Meera. Never lose hope.’

Something clicked me, Arjun’s mother, I wonder how she must be feeling. She would be all alone in Chandigarh.
‘You do have Gayatri Aunty’s number, na?’ I asked mumma in uncertainty.

‘I do, but why do you want her number all of a sudden?’

‘If I am in such a miserable state as much as the thought of him getting hurt, just think about Aunty.’
‘She needs comfort.’

Meera had then gathered herself in a matter of few moments and had her bags packed for Chandigarh.
‘Maa, you're here , I will come back in three to four days.’

It amazed Vijaya to see her daughter gather herself up and look for Arjun's mother the next moment. The fact that she cared so much to actually go and live with her for quite a few days made her realise That her daughter was in it deep and she was in it hard.

Her daughter was gradually losing herself in love.

‘Aunty, Meera kahan hai?’ — asked Khushi as she came in through the door.
[Where is Meera]
‘She has gone to Chandigarh, Beta.’
‘Chandigarh?’ — confusion marred her face, clearly she hadn't been in touch for a while.
‘To Arjun’s mother. There has been an attack at the place where his Basecamp is.’
‘Oh, how is Meera doing?’
‘She is fine now. She is learning how to handle these situations afterall she would have to get used to it.’

‘You come sit, beta. I will get water for you.’ — Vijaya aunty says as she walks to the kitchen.

A/N

Here is the update that you all been asking for from so long. However, I am again stating that I plan to not exaggerate the story so much and the story may or may not have a happy ending.

Also trust me I do want to upload regularly but that is simply a hurdle when you are doing bachelor's in Science. However, I will try to be regular.

Thankyou for your patience.