Chapter 19

Ugh, the trains and the people. I am clearly not a fan of crowds, all that unnecessary socialising just sucks the energy right out of you. Khushi is right, trains are not for me. Given how particular I am of having my own space and no matter how much I love kids, I still find those little kids annoying in the train, who have no idea what the other person is going through. On the other hand, they are just kids. How would they?

Anyways, I told Maa to send across the address of Gayatri Aunty but the school's always keeping her so busy. I look outside the window as I dial her number.

'Haan, beta.'

'Maa, maine address bhejne ko bola tha. Aapne bheja nahi?'

'Oho, sorry, I will send it right now.'

'Jaldi haan, I am about to reach.' — With that, I put the phone down. I was just about ten to fifteen minutes away from Chandigarh. I wonder how aunty must be holding up? Arjun being an only son, seems very difficult to keep it together. I hope she is fine.

I close my eyes for a bit and my mind drifts somewhere else.

'His name is Arjun. He is Siddharth's friend.'

What would have happened if Khushi had not dragged her to that house warming party where she saw Arjun for the first time? Destiny would have been very cruel and we would have never met.

I open my eyes with a jerk as my phone rings up. It was Khushi.

'Haan, bol.'

'Fir se feeki ho gayi Meera. I know, I couldn't keep up after the wedding but samajh na. I had too many of responsibilities. Trust me, I wanted to talk to you, no, I needed to talk to you but there just wasn't enough time.'

'It is okay. I understand.'

'Toh kya itna sab ho gaya aur tune mujhe ek phone tak nahi kiya?'

'Kya karti Khushi, phone uthati thi tu? Kitne phone kiye maine tujhe?'

'Okay, sorry. Did you have anything?'

'Not as of now. I will call you in a while. My station has come.'

As Meera got out from the railway station, the real deal began. How was she going to go to Gayatri aunty's place? Every rickshaw wala is too high to be taken and then she remembered, Uber. safe and affordable. Anyhow, everything looks the same in Chandigarh. With another fifteen minutes of travel, there she was standing in front of her Arjun's house. It was eerily quiet. As quiet that you could hear the rustling of the leaves. With hesitation, she rang the doorbell.

'Aai.' —- Aunty said from inside. As soon as she opened the door, she was surprised as she looked Meera from head to toe with a small suitcase in her hand. Meera noticed that she did have the marks of dried tears on her face, which means she was trying really hard but now she was here, to help her.

'Aajaun?' — She asked and Gayatri aunty nodded mindlessly.

Mistakenly stepped into the red rangoli, Meera entered the house leaving her red footprints behind. Gayatri aunty noticed and breathed a sigh of relief. Their Lakshmi was here. Everything will be fine.

'How are you doing, Aunty?'

'It was quite difficult after the news but I have been better.'

'I am sure Arjun will be quite well. Afterall, he's your son. What is going to happen to him? Absolutely nothing.'

'May what you are saying be true. Let my Arjun be well, bhagwan.'

'He will be. Now what's for lunch? Shall I make something? You also taste how well I cook.' —-with that Gayatri aunty showed her the kitchen and Meera cooked while they talked randomly.