Chapter 2

'So Khushi and Siddharth are basically engaged now?' — Mumma had this unreadable expression on her face as if planning my wedding in her head. All she needed at this point was an excuse to even bring up the topic of me potentially getting married. Now that I was in a stable job, next on the checklist was my marriage.

'You know Khushi doesn't have anyone on her side of the family and with Siddharth introducing her. Uncle and Aunty really liked her and the engagement is outlined in the next week.'

When I say it out loud, it seems real. This is the woman I have grown up together and now she is getting engaged. She is settling down and I know Siddharth is perfect for her but it feels like a piece of heart is going away. I take out my phone and quickly text her I Love You with a little heart. It feels superficial but who cares, if I want to say it I will.

'How did you come back, then?'

Mother said fixating on the little detail.

'Siddharth dropped us off. He didn't let us take an autorickshaw.' — with that, the tiny little breakfast conversation came to an end and my mind once again wanders off to the guy I saw yesterday, Arjun Sengupta who I knew nothing of but only that he was Ravi Uncle's best friend's son. Well, that's the thing about being an enigma, it draws you in. something I just wasn't ready for.

'Maa, don't you have any schoolwork today?' — I rarely see her without any work and certainly without those stress lines. Being a teacher is so glorified and is certainly not as easy as they make it seem. Oh, all of the lists that she has to make.

'I have gotten a break in a long time. Don't remind me of that stupid thing.' — She says as she shrugs her way to her room. With that, my phone's screaming ringtone almost hurts my ear although it is a beautiful Airtel Telugu.

'What now?'

'Why so feeka Meera? Your friend is getting engaged. I am getting engaged. Who would've thought?'

[Feeka — means kind of bland or distasteful.]

'I was there last night, Khushi. I know that my dear friend is getting engaged. Now hang up I have a job to tend to.' — Did it come out rude? She was calling me on Sunday, I had some presentations to make.

'Sorry, that was rude. Do you want to go shopping maybe?' — I offer, she has always liked shopping maybe she will let this go.

'We are meeting at four.'

                                       ...

'Are you sure you are not buying anything? What are you going to wear to my engagement?' —Khushi, as usual, whined. She cared so much for every little thing. She is the bride, she should rest and let me handle some things for a change.

'I just got a beautiful anarkali stitched. Come on, I showed you. Kaisi dost hai!'

[Kaisi dost hai – What kind of friend are you.]

'Arey, I remember the maroon one. But isn't it a little simple?' — Khushi pouted but I wasn't going to change my decision.

'I like simple things, unlike you. Ab Chalein?'

[Ab Chalein – Shall we go now?]

I nudge her shoulder as we walk our way outside. 'Is Arjun going to be there?' I ask her in a hushed voice, to which she answers excitedly, almost jumping in the air. 'Of course, yaar Meera, Arjun and Siddharth are like best friends. That's the only reason he's even here.'

'What do you mean?' — As soon as I get those words out, she is gone with Siddharth. Apparently, she had a date right after our little shopping errand which she forgot to tell me. A new thing I know nothing about. Why would you do that to me, Khushi? Neither do I have the confidence to even start a conversation with him or anybody in general.

What to do now?

Papa hadn't called in a long time. Not that anything remotely interesting was happening in my life, but I would like for him to be involved in it. With nothing on hand, I just go home while treating myself to some flowers. I will just tend to my job for now. It will keep my mind off Arjun for a while. Being a nutritionist is not as easy as they make it seem. It is not just me sitting in an AC-fitted room and telling people what to eat and what not. It is a lot more than that.

'Are you done, Beta?' —- Mumma asks as she enters with a plate full of food. I nod in her direction and she sits down on the bed in front of me, already with a morsel in her hand. This makes it even better.

'You know I saw this guy at that party Khushi took me to. Ravi Uncle introduced us, some Arjun Sengupta.'

'Did you like him or something?' — Mumma said it just like that. How did she even get that idea?

'Why would you think like that out of nowhere?'

'I thought that if you felt that you wanted to share it with me, then it might be something you are feeling here.' —- She said keeping her hand on her heart. Was it possible? It might be a teeny bit of a spark but like was way too ahead. I practically knew nothing of the guy. How could I possibly feel anything for him?

'Sorry, but I don't think so.' — That sentence left no door open for that conversation.

'All ready for the presentation then?' — She asked once again as she caressed my hair lovingly

'Just a bit worried.' To which she simply smiled and kept her head on mine. I could feel her smile a little.

'Don't worry. I am sure my princess would do great.'

'Good night Maa.'

With that, I switched off the lights and got comfortable and my phone pinged with a notification.

A friend request from Arjun Sengupta.

Is all of this actually happening?

A/N 

Here is the next chapter of my book Meera. I hope you all are able to follow the story. Till now I had only been writing fan-fiction aka the characters were already made. but now I have my own characters and I hope you like them all except the villains ofc. 

Do tell me what do you think about Meera ?

Arjun?

Siddharth?

Khushi? 

really looking forward to your comments. 

love, 
Until next time