Chapter 3

'Then, Siddharth took me to the park that we used to visit during school days.'----- Khushi finished as I sipped my chai. She detailed her date from the other day while I just waited to break the news I had in my hand. Last night, I received a friend request from Arjun Sengupta. I didn't know what to do. Did he mean to send it or was it just a mistake? If I don't accept it, it would seem rude. It is the last thing I would want him to feel.

[Chai - a word for tea in Hindi]

'Khushi, listen to me.' — I almost shouted in frustration. Once she goes on, she needs someone to stop her from rambling on.

'What?'

'I got a friend request last night from Arjun.' With that, I waited for her to say something. She just looked right at me silently. I waved my hand in front of her face which seemed to do it. She looked at me puzzled, confusion clear on her face. Her face mirrored my expression from last night.

'Sengupta?' Well, that was a stupid thing to ask.

'Who else? Do I know anyone else with the name Arjun?' — I was exasperated with the situation. It also felt nice to feel acknowledged by him. I really wanted her advice on what to do. I couldn't leave him hanging.

'Bata na, what should I do?'

[Bata na- Hindi phrase for telling something]

'Just accept it. Why are you thinking so much about it? It is simple, accept it and talk to him. He is a nice guy.'

'Are you sure?' —- My nervousness took a toll on me. I don't even know why I asked her that. I wanted to talk to him and it was nice that he initiated.

'Of course, Meera. I have known him since I have known Siddharth.'

If she has known him for so long. Why did she not tell me? Did she just forget? Waise bhi with what motive would she have told me? It was pointless so I let that go. I gave her a smile instead and nodded at her. She is always there to solve my problems.

'What did Vijaya aunty say about your outfit for my engagement? She didn't like it. Of course, it was so feeka. Try something new, na.'

'Again, Khushi. I told you what I was going to wear and I am sticking to that. No matter what anyone else thinks.'

. . .

'Maa, I am home.' I informed her as I set foot inside the house. It was awfully quiet. She was asleep maybe. It was very rare that she slept besides her normal sleeping routine which was also pretty messed up. It tiptoed to her room and there she was working. She will over-exhaust herself at this speed. All I wanted was to walk over to her and shut that laptop down, and tell her that it was enough for the day. But I couldn't be bossy over her or it might not go well for me.

'Maa, you called Khushi?' With that, she looked at me and then again went back to typing.

'Your phone was not reachable and I also had to congratulate her on the engagement.' I nodded, it seemed genuine.

'You are coming with me to the engagement right?' I am sure my face had a worried expression on it. I needed her there with me. I, Meera cannot get through a social gathering without having anyone known there. Please, don't say no. She looked at me and said yes. What a rush it was.

'How was the presentation?' She asked me and it felt nice that she remembered.

'Better than I thought.' I said making a weird expression, the one that tells that it was mind-boggling and she smiled at me.

'I knew my Meera would do it.' She said holding my chin lovingly. I smiled back at her as I started to walk back to my room. Around the doorway, I turned to face her.

'You also take out something maroonish to wear. We will twin then.' She just shook her head with a small smile on her face. I blew her a kiss from where I was standing and she caught it in her hand. With that, I retired to my room with a smile on my face. Silly us.

. . .

After all the hassles, I got cozy in the covers and tapped on his friend request. Not giving it another thought, I accepted the request.

Arjun and you are now friends.

The screen read but only if. Should I text him first? Am I supposed to take the next step? He did initiate with the request, it is only fair that I text him first. Would it look weird? Should I call Khushi? I look at the clock, she must be sleeping by now. I don't want to disturb her.

With an impulse, I text him a Hi without any anticipation. Could I unsend this? Why did I do this? Why god why?

A notification beeped on my phone. He had replied back.

Hey!

Relief washed over me. We just read so much into the situations that we need to just roll with it. I didn't make it awkward.

We met at the housewarming party.

He clarified that was cute.

I remember Ravi Uncle introduced us. Arjun Sengupta, Siddharth's best friend.

You are good with names and faces, then.

I take that you are just as much good as me.

I debated on adding an emoji or not and settled with the normal smile.

It's good to know that you remember me, Miss Meera.

Well, I do Mr Sengupta and it's good to know that you remember me too.

It would be hard to not remember someone like you.

Well, thank you, and good night

I added a cute emoji beside it, wouldn't want to come off as rude.

Good night. 

It was indeed a good night. He had remembered me. I suppose, future was going to be different. Good different.

A/N

So, they are finally texting. It is a bit weird for me to write something romantic. Ironic, right? Anyways, drop in comments.

How are you liking the story?

There would be a professional Meera in the next chapter. So hang on!

You like Arjun Sengupta?