Chapter 13

That morning felt hollow and difficult to Meera. The fact that she couldn’t see him off was gnawing at her. She sat in the kitchen, in her pajamas as she held onto the hot cup of chai. Vijaya aunty came tying her hair up as she saw her gloomy daughter. The scene in front of her reminded her of something that happened more than twenty five years ago. She also stood at the same threshold. In a constant sense of uncertainty. 
‘Beta, get ready. You have to go to work, na?’ She tried lifting the spirit by patting her back. Meera just nodded her head while looking down, trying to hide her tears from her mother. 
Itni badi ho gayi hai ki maa se aansun chhupane lagi hai, haan?’ She said hitting her slightly to which Meera lifted her face. 
[You have turned so old that you want to hide your tears from your mother now] 

Vijaya’s anger took a backseat as she saw her face. Meera needed her, she wrapped her arms around her waist as she broke down. All of the insecurities flowing away in tears. Vijaya stayed silent as she comforted her daughter just by being there. Sometimes, that is all one needs. Just be there. Slowly, Meera let go of her as she pushed her dishevelled hair back. 
‘You should go. You are getting late.’ 
‘Are you sure? I can take a leave.’ She asks lifting her chin. 
Haan Maa, mai theek hun. Aap jao.’ 
[Yes Maa. I am fine, you should go.]

With that, Vijiya aunty leaves the house and she tries to keep it together as she puts her cup in the sink. The tea had gone cold. She felt no urge to eat or drink. It felt like she didn’t have her appetite anymore.she called in sick and climbed in her bed. Neither did Arjun have his phone for her to connect. Why was it so damn hard? This day was so different. She looked at the clock. Khushi used to call her everyday right about now but today was different. In last one month, she had grown used to so many things. The little texts and random calls from Arjun that made her day. Right now, she was staring at the blank screen expecting it to light up at any moment but that wasn’t going to happen. She turned on her back and stared into nothingness. 

She ditched the covers and got into shower gathering most of her courage. To feel good, she had to get out of these pajamas. She changed into a plain black kurti. She was scrolling through her social media and came across a post by Khushi, it was her and Khushi and was captioned ‘The banno ki saheli’. She still loves me. 
Arjun had commented ‘Resham ki dori.’ 

Her another post was of the four of us. That picture was a candid, it caught that look Arjun has when he looks at me. This is the first time I am seeing this. How does he manage to do it all so effortlessly? 
The main door opened, Maa came back. It’s afternoon already? How? Have I really been like this the whole day? At this rate I will become insufferable for Maa. Where would Arjun be right now? Okay, let’s take a break and try to focus on something else. 
‘Maa, how was your day? Any substitutions?’ I tried striking a conversation while handing her a glass of water. 
‘These people will forever be behind my free periods. Anyways, what did you do?’ 
'Nothing much. Just tried to get out of bed really.' 
'I know Meera. I know how you are feeling. I have been here before, I have gone through it. Communicate, beta.' Maa had been worried about me. She can't possibly take more because of me. 

I keep my hand above hers. That's something strange about women. They can communicate through silence. I laid my head in her lap as she lovingly caressed my hair. 
'How does one survive with such uncertainty?' 
'Hope, beta. Hope gets you through it. Believing that he will walk in that door sometime.' 
I could just nod at her. 

Breaking the silence of the moment, the doorbell rang. Ugh, who was it? 
'Meera, open the door.' That sounded like Khushi. Was she here? 

I hurriedly opened the door and there stood the newlyweds. Oh my, she in nuptials and saree. I heard Maa gasp at the nothingness of our home. What will she offer her son in law now. 
'A day early? Kaise?'

'Meera, Maa only told me that she should stay here for two days and then I will take her away. Okay?' Siddharth answered. 
'You are going? Atleast have water?' He shouldn’t just return from the door. 
'No need Meera. I am getting late, waise bhi. Take care.' And he left suddenly. Weird. 

'What happened to him today? Why in so much of a hurry?' I asked Khushi.
'Arre, he went to drop off Arjun in the morning. It messed up his schedule.' She just mentioned it casually. 
'That's why your face is so red. Because he left. So did come close then.' 
'I guess, we did. I really miss him. I miss him so bad.' 
'How am I supposed to feel constantly like this for another six months. How is that humanly possible?' 

Khushi hugged me which managed to calm me down and I somehow got through the day. 

A/N

How was it? I hope the emotions came out with which I wrote it.
Also vote if you missed Arjun too.