Chapter 17

Niall's POV

I felt a soft wetness drop on top of my hand and trail it's way down the side. After, I heard a sniffles and I small thumping echoing through the room that sounded like a heart beat. That same wetness landed on my hand again, this time causing me to open my eyes to see what it was.

When my eyes were opened and the fuzziness was gone, I smile sleepily at Zayn sitting next to the bed I was laying it. He smiled back at me before using the hand that wasn't in mine to wipe the tears that were rolling down his face. He looked so tired. His beard had grown back and his skin looked a bit weathered like he got sun burnt.

"Hey, baby." He whispered to me, his voice sounding choked up with tears. A soft kick from my tummy made me smile even bigger because our baby was okay.

"Baby." I whispered to him, moving our connected hands to my bump. I saw Zayn's brown eyes light up a little when the baby kicked our hands, but they dulled again as he looked back to me.

"I'm so sorry I put you through this." He whispered to me, letting a tear fall and get lost in his facial hair. I weakly reach a hand to his face and felt his short beard. He smiled, then kissed my fingertips.

"Love you." I told him before trying to move over on the bed for him to cuddle me because I was so tired. But a pain stopped me from moving and caused me to whimper a little.

"Don't move, Nialler. You have stitches, don't want to break those open." Zayn told me, but my eyes started filling with tears because I just really wanted him to hold me. I haven't seen him in two months and I want him to hold me is that too much to ask for.

"I want you, Zayn!" I cried, so he stood up and gently moved me over on the bed before climbing in next to me. He had to watch out for all the cords and needles that were connected to me, but I didn't mind at all. He wrapped one arm around my belly and placed the other one in my hair, calming me down with his fingers running through it. He kissed my cheeks before kissing my lips softly. I kissed him back, my past tears being forgotten because I had my Zayn back.

Our kiss broke much sooner than I wanted it too by a doctor coming in to the room I was in. He smiled at us both, gesturing for Zayn to stay were he was. He took a seat next to us after looking at some paper coming out of a machine.

"The baby's heart beat is very strong and your blood pressure has returned to a healthy place. It was dangerously low during the operation, which scared us the baby would suffer from it, but everything seems fine now." He told us both before sitting in the chair Zayn was just in. Zayn moved a little, his hand moving made the baby kick like it wanted its dad to keep holding me. He smiled lightly and rubbed his hand over my belly before returning his attention to the doctor.

"We want Niall to be on bed rest for the rest of this week, then we want a no stress environment. He's eight months along, which is the hardest month to get through for both the baby and the carrier. The baby is getting the last of its calcium from its parent. It's gaining what we call survival wight, which is just a few extra ounces to live off of in case breastfeeding is hard for the two of them. It's a critical part, and so far, the baby has become restless which lead to the artery being kicked too hard for Niall's gentle body type." Once the doctor finished I felt like a horrible parent because I was doing a really bad job of taking care of my little one.

"I'll make sure to get him everything he needs." Zayn said, but I saw pain in his face as well as pure guilt. I wasn't sure why he was feeling guilt, it's me that was supposed to take care of our baby. I'm growing the kid in my own body, I need to make sure it's getting everything it needs and I haven't.

The doctor left the room and I buried my face in Zayn's neck and began to cry. I was too emotional for my own good and now I have to deal with the fact I could have killed my baby because I was worrying to much and not taking care of myself. Now on top of that, I just really missed Zayn and I have him but it still doesn't make the aching in my heart go away from the past.