Prologue

Niall's POV

As I sat in the small rocking chair by the window with my hands resting on my five month baby bump, I thought of my husband. I thought of his brown eyes that had lost their light that day he lost his family to the government. I thought of his sweet heart that has become cold after hearing multiple recordings of his best friend being tortured. His hands that used to be so soft when they touched me never stopped shaking in fear that our child could be taken just like everything else he loved.

Sometimes I think of telling him to stop this rebellion. I think that will get me back the 18 year old boy I was forced to marry, but I know the problem is no longer anything he can control. There's nothing he can do but be used as some sort of military leader and a hope to thousands of men preparing to fight a war that will be burning into our history.

I knew the rebellion was out of his hands when men started training in their home towns. The point where bombs were dropped on their training camps by the Head System to stop this war was when everyone knew no matter what their King Dove did he couldn't stop the deaths of their husbands, brothers and children. People still kept their trust in one single teenage, even after he could do nothing to help or save them.

I heard the front door open, breaking me away from the thoughts that bring pain to my heart. I stood up slowly, being this pregnant on my small frame has made easy things like getting out of bed or standing out of a chair difficult. I made sure the baggy clothes I was wearing looked okay before making my way into the living room where I saw Zayn resting his head against the back of the door with his back towards me.

"Zayn?" I asked quietly, causing him to turn and look at me with his brown eyes full of tears. He rubbed his face roughly, then put on a fake smile for me as he walked over to me.

That was one thing I hated more than anything. He thought that he was protecting me by putting that smile on his a face and not telling me what was going on. He thought that was protecting me from seeing the horrors and tragedies this rebellion has brought on him, but the truth is I see it in his eyes. I see it in his body. But mostly I feel it in my heart.

My mother was always telling me that one day when I get married and have that special moment with that person that our hearts will become one as well as our bodies. Today I can say that's the truth. Every time I wake up in the middle of the night hearing his sobs coming from our bathroom I feel the pain he's in. The times I see him yelling at Liam out of anger that something isn't going planned, I feel the agony his heart is in. I feel what he feels, even if he thinks that fake smile on his face is protecting me from that.

"How are my babies doing?" Zayn asked me with his voice sounding strained with emotions. His shaky hands rested on my big bump. I leaned forward and kissed him sweetly, hoping that maybe my kiss could mend this broken man. But when I pulled back I saw his broken state was still there. Everything he wished he could hide from me was still right there.

"I love you." I whispered to him. Zayn just looked at me and gave me a weak smile before kissing my lips again.

"I love you both." He whispered back to me, some of the old Zayn coming back for just a second making me giggle like he's always made me. Just like he made me laugh when I heard him getting ready to marry me and just like he made me when he used to have a fire in his personality. That was all before it was taken from him.

Everything has been taken from us both and more keeps getting taken each day. One day my childhood was taken from us both, but now I'm slowly watching my husband being taken from me too.

A/N: so this is going to be a fun book to write. There's allot coming for you all, I hope to enjoyed this first part and I hope yall enjoyed the first book! Comment / Vote!
                                     - Bri;)