Chapter 16

Zayn's POV

"It only took two months and look at this, the last file in Bassetlaw; the smallest town in the country." Liam sighed as he took the marriage certificate out and placed in the the bin with the rest of them. I smiled and looked around the room.

We had started on the top floor and worked our way down after we had done Bradford. We bearly slept and rarely left the building unless we had to get fresh air for a minute before coming back in and continuing. It was truly horrible. I found myself getting anxiety attacks because of how much stress was on me and how much work we had to do. Liam would just remind me to take it one file at a time and remember we had time to finish it before I had to go home to be a dad.

"Now all we have to do is get that greasy old president to sign his rights away to these, and we can blow his brains out." Eve said much to happily for the words that came out of her mouth. But, after two months I've gotten used to her gruesome comments as well as her yelling fits that men are stupid and the times I wake up to find her curled up against me. She's odd, but any time I try to mention Niall or personal space I get cut off or just yelled at by her for saying that she's making moves on me. It's actually scary.

"Well, now can't we just storm the president's mansion and take him prisoner? He had no problem doing that with my family so I'm fine with that idea." I offered bitterly. Eve smirked at my bitter tone, but still shook her head.

"We have to follow to rules of war. No taking leaders prisoner because they are defenseless to war." Liam groaned at that then started to get his bulletproof clothes on. I followed his lead because I knew we had to leave the building now and that is a whole process. It seems like every time I walk out of this building I'm getting shot at, which adds to the many colorful bruses on my body.

Once we were all suited up to leave, I got my gun and helmet on before heading down the single flight of stairs to leave the building. Liam and Eve were right beside me as we stepped out to the streets that were filled with the gunshot noises that I have become immune to. Sounds of buildings being bombed was a normal sound that I didn't even jump at any more.

We walked down the streets to a new flat we would be staying at. We hadn't been anywhere else but the government building going through files and occasionally sleeping on the floor if we needed to sleep for an hour or two.

Before we walked into the door of the flat, I felt a light blow to the back of my ribs which I knew I got shot at again. Liam turned and shot a few bullets before a body fell from a the roof of a building a few meters away. I looked at Liam and saw he was looked down at his gun like he was ashamed of what he had just done. I think that's the only thing we both relate to in this case.

The flat we walked into was small and had allot of soldiers in white running around checking if everything was okay for us to stay here. The people that owned the flat took us to a bedroom with a huge bed and some couches in there too. There were three piles of clothes for us to change into and two towels for each of us. I got my pile of stuff and head into the bathroom first.

After a nice shower on my brused up body, I got out and dried off. Just as I got the new boxers on the door swung opened and Eve yelped before coving her eyes. I laughed and slipped on a shirt, then grabbed her wrist away from her face.

"I thought you grew up in a house full of boys. I've got nothing you haven't seen before." I joked, then messed up her hair as I left the bathroom. She growled at me and tackled me to the floor. I was glad it was carpet because I landed flat on my face.

"I did grow up in a house of boys, that's why I know how to bring your scrawny ass to the ground." She growled in my ear. But this girl weighed no more than a feather because I got on my hands and knees then stood up with her on my back. She was laughing and screaming for me to stop moving so she could get down, so I walked with her to the bed and dropped her off there like I would always do with my own little sisters when they rode on my back.