00 - Prologue - Nikita Russo's Point Of View.

Guilt is a powerful emotion. Sometimes it drives you to do things you normally would never do otherwise, and sometimes it leaves you wanting to do something for someone you barely know to atone for the guilt. The latter was how I got to where I was currently.

Sitting in a car with a gold ring on my finger, married to the Mafia Don of the Russo Family. Viktor Russo.

"I do wish you would smile, Nikita. After all, you suggested this."

Forty-six hours, nine minutes and a handful of seconds of marriage, and I was already miserable. But I knew this was bound to happen. Smiling tightly, I turned to Viktor.

"Is this better?"

"Hardly. I would say it's almost worse than the miserable face you've worn since we left the Concetta-Mihail complex."

"Must be a side effect of being around you." I sighed.

Viktor was quiet for the rest of the car ride. Viktor was taking me to honeymoon with him at the private Russo Villa. I would have rather he just locked me up in the Russo mansion, at least there I knew the surroundings. The private airport was quiet and cold. Viktor pulled me along with him by the wrist. It could have been by the hand, but I refused to let him.

"Do you have any adverse reactions to plane rides, Nikita?"

"No. But the thought of being stuck in one with you at thirty thousand feet is an adverse reaction all of its own."

"How lovely." Viktor hissed, and I knew I got under his skin. That alone made me smile happily.

He let go of my wrist, and we walked towards the entrance of the plane. I could feel the air between us, and the tension between us was palpable. I knew it was going to be a long flight. Sitting down in my seat, I wanted to ask Viktor what country we were going to, but he probably wouldn't tell me, anyway.

"Could I have my cell phone?" I asked him.

He fished my phone out of his breast pocket, and I took it from him. Turning it on, it alerted me that the sim card was missing. "Viktor, where is my sim card?"

"You won't be able to use it at the Villa. I'll get you a new one when we get there," he said, and relaxed into his plane seat.

"How long will you keep me locked away at the Russo Villa?"

"Locked away? That is hardly what I am doing, Nikita. If I wanted to lock you away, the Russo mansion was the best place for that."

"Then what is your plan here, Viktor?" I questioned him, crossing my arms. He reached out and touched my hair, which was hanging over the armrest. "Nikita, my only plan here is to take my new husband on a honeymoon."

"Sadly, I'm not stupid enough to believe that, Viktor."

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Buckle your seatbelt. We'll be leaving shortly."

I buckled my belt as he reached over to do it for me. "I didn't do any of this because I like you, or want any of this from you, Viktor Russo. I did it so that you would keep your controlling tendencies away from your cousin and the relationship that is healing him, you prick."

"Either way, I got what I wanted, now didn't I, Nikita Russo?" Viktor said, his eyes narrowing, and that nasty behaviour of his showing through. "Till death do us part," he leaned over and whispered.

The urge to tell him I hoped it was him first was there. But I didn't. Since I didn't want to be the one to go first, let alone in less than the first seventy-two hours after our marriage. I closed my eyes when the plane took off, and opened them when it leveled out again.