sweet nothings

"You haven't called in ages, honey... are you okay?" She answers from the other line.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I'm doing good... great actually..." You smile softly but still nervous.

"I'm happy to hear that" She sighs in relief. "Did Bea send you the bridesmaids dresses she likes the most?" She questioned, knowing her, she's probably going crazy over the wedding planning.

"Oh yeah, she's sending me everything, I'm helping her out as much as I can" You tell her.

"I figured. So, do you have a date for the wedding?" She asked and you took in a shaky breath, already suspecting she would ask it.

"Yeah, about that..." You clear your throat.

"Oh, God. That can't be good" She had a gut feeling, but she ignored the thought- hoping to be wrong about it.

"I do have a date..." You start slow.

"Who is it?" She asked.

"A guy...?" You squint your eyes, anticipating where this would be going.

"Do I know him?" You could feel her more tense now, and you had to control yourself from scoffing.

"Yeah, actually... remember that guy I dated back in college?" You finally answer.

"Please tell me you're kidding" Great.

"Trust me, it'll get worse for you" You warn her.

"Worse than you and Brian back together?" She answered in an aggravating tone.

"Mom!" You reprehend her.

"You know exac-" You interrupt her.

"Let me continue and I'll let you scold me for as long as you feel like" You say with eyes shut as you try to focus on keeping things calm.

"Fine" She sighed.

"We're living together" You tell her.

"You're what?" There goes the aggravation again.

"You've lived in the same city all those years and you decide that you're gonna get back together now? In this day and age?" She questioned.

"We're not living in Boston..." You say, sighing.

"Then where are you, (Y/N)?" She asks in a mixture of confusion and desperation.

"Los Angeles" You reveal.

"WHAT?" She reacted just as you expected.

"I moved here to be with him and-" You tried to explain but she cut you off.

"(Y/N), you're old enough to know better" She scolded you in disbelief.

"See, that's why I didn't tell you before. I'm an adult, I know what I'm doing" You tell her.

"Do you?"... Not really, but you'd spare the both of you from that reality.

"We're not teenagers. Brian's been great, in fact, one of the reasons why I'm here is for better career opportunities and he has been nothing but supportive..." You start painting Brian in a good light to her, hoping it would work.

"It was all great in the beginning back then too, until he started-" She countered.

"He's sober now, mom" You sigh.

"And is he financially stable now?" She questioned, a little more relieved at your previous revelation.

"Well, he's rich... and famous" You answer.