not a date

You froze in place. How could you have forgotten?

Truth be told, it's not like you were anxiously waiting to hang out with Chris. Which would explain why you forgot that you had made plans with him on your birthday, that happened to be his day off. You look to your side as Brian's lovingly petting Tucci, looking like husband material. You sigh and smile solemnly, how'd you break the news? The day had been perfect so far, but you knew this would ruin it. You knew Brian wouldn't be amused at the idea, especially on your birthday.

"Babe..." You start, precisely choosing your words.

"Yes, my darling" Brian smiled smugly as he turned to look at you but your serious expression made his smile immediately falter.

"What's wrong, (Y/N)?" He asked in worry.

"I made plans with Chris..." You said and he looked surprised, clearly the thought hadn't even crossed his mind. He probably thought he had done something wrong, which killed you.

"Oh..." He put Tucci down to focus on you.

"Today" You revealed with a guilty look.

"On your birthday?" His face already had the scowl that always appeared when he was angry.

"He's coming to pick me up, he's on his way" You tell him, your nerves taking full control of you.

"What about our plans?" He asked, still in disbelief.

"We're going for coffee, I won't take long. I promise you, Brian..." You fight to keep his trust on you.

"Are you going on a date, (Y/N)?" He asked you, looking intimidatingly serious.

"What? No!" Your eyes widen and you raised your voice, which made Tucci bark.

"Unbelievable..." He muttered and moved to stand on his feet, now looking down at you.

"He's my friend!" You tried with a cry.

"That never stopped you before" He scoffed, clearly talking about himself.

"Brian..." You sighed.

"It's your birthday" His tone was louder.

"I know, okay?" You answered, bitterly regretting your decision to do this.

"You should be spending it with your-..." He stopped himself when he realized what he was about to say.

A deafening silence installed itself in the room.

"Actually, don't mind me at all. Do whatever you want, (Y/N). I'm not actually your boyfriend" He seemed to be searching for something.

"Don't say that, Brian" You reprehend him, even though he was right. Still, it's a hard pill to swallow.

"You know I'm right. We're nothing but fuck buddies that happen to live together" With that, he grabbed the car keys and headed to the door.

"What are you doing?" You panicked and shoot up.

"I'm going for a drive, I need to cool my head off"

"You can't drive! You're recovering from a hip replacement, remember?" You spoke with a racing heart and wide eyes from worry.

"Doesn't matter" His tone revealing how hurt he is.

"Of course it does! What if you hurt yourself?" You follow him outside.

"Goodbye, (Y/N). Enjoy your date..." He twisted the knife now, clearly wanting to push your buttons.

"It's not a fucking date" There was no stopping him as he entered the car and drove off, leaving you standing alone in the driveway.