Chapter 17 - Heart of Darkness and Do Not Go Gentle

Caroline walked into the cafeteria and looks around. People were decorating for the 'Roaring 20s' decade dance. Caroline saw Matt and Amberley and walked over to him. “What is this?”

Matt looked at her. “It’s the decade dance. Remember, you made us sign up to help?”

“No.” Caroline picked up a boa. “This. The 20s. We’re doing the 70s.”

“Don't care.” Amberley muttered.

Rebekah called. “Too flashy, people. It’s supposed to be speakeasy, not the World Fair.” Then she saw Caroline and walked up to her. “Ah, good, you’re here. I need help setting up the tables so, get to it.”

“What do you think you’re doing?” Caroline asked.

“Somebody has to be in charge.” Rebekah replied.

Caroline looked angry. “Yeah, me. I’m the chair of the Dance Committee. The theme of the decade dance is the 1970s.”

Rebekah pointed it out. “So, you’d rather dress in tacky colors with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age? Honestly, I don’t know what my brother sees in you.”

“Maybe he sees a challenge. See, unlike some other people, I don’t sleep with everyone I make eye contact with.” Caroline comment.

“Ewe.” Amberley made a face.

Matt suggested. “Maybe we can do both decades?”

“No.” Caroline and Rebekah replied on the same time.

“Better not.” Amberley added. “Aunty Bekah and Caroline wouldn’t want that.”

Rebekah looked at Matt. “Go on, Matt, don’t be a coward. You know you loved my 20s idea when I presented it to the group.”

Caroline turned around and looked at Matt. “Traitor!”

“Bell bottoms and disco? I don’t know, this just seemed cooler.” Matt comment.

Rebekah pointed at Matt. “See? It’s just cooler.”

“Whatever. Have fun at your stupid dance.” Caroline walked away.

“Drama Queen.” Amberley muttered.

---------------------

Later that day, Amberley called to her mother. “There is this dance coming and I don’t like to dance.”

Malia hummed. “Well, I don’t either so that we have in common. Why are even going?”

“Aunt Bekah is making going and helping.” Amberley replied.

“Aunt? As in Klaus sister?” Malia asked confused.

“Yeah.” Amberley nodded.

“Do you have any others?” Malia asked her.

Amberley nodded. “Yeah, Uncle Elijah, Uncle Kol, Uncle Finn but he was killed of by my supposed to be friends. And grandma Esther, she wanted to kill them all.”

“Sounds like you have been going through stuff.” Malia remarked.

“Yeah, and then my adopted sister went hellfire. She does like I don’t exist anymore and she compelled Jeremy to another town, he doesn’t like me either, anymore.” Amberley sighed.

“Oh, Amberley.” Malia breathed out. “Only because your father is the big bad hybrid?”

“Yeah.” Amberley replied.

“Well, they are losers and they don’t deserve you.” Malia told her, seriously.

“But they have been my family for 17 years. And now they cast me away, like trash.” Amberley sighed.

“Like I said, they don’t deserve you.” Malia repeated it.

Amberley nodded. “I know.” She let a tear fell from her face.

“Why don’t you come for a visit soon?” Malia suggested. “So, you will be out of town for a while.”

“I would like that.” Amberley smiled. “Thanks, mom.”

“It’s the first time you called me mom “ Malia teared up.

“Well, yes. You are my mother.” Amberley pointed it out.

“Yes.” Malia comment. “But its the first time you say it.”

“Yeah, I know. I guess, I need my mother.” Amberley told her seriously.

Malia nodded. “Of course. Come soon as you can.”

“I will.” Amberley nodded. “Bye, mom.”

“Bye, honey.” Malia told her as then they hung up.

---------------------

Amberley went to the woods to blow some steam off. After al, its a full moon tonight. Sometime later, she went back home and changed her clothes for the 20s dance. When she arrived there, the party was in full swing in the gym hall with lots of students dancing to the music, including Bonnie and Jamie. She looked around her, but didn’t want to interfere with anybody. Then she saw Elena and Stefan. “Oh.” She muttered. “Drama.”

Then a guy came up to her and flirted. “Hey, beautiful. Do you want to dance with me?”

Amberley looked at the guy and shook her head. “Dude, no.” Then she walked away from him.

----------------

Sometime later, Amberley saw that Caroline and Tyler were slow dancing as then Klaus walked in and stared at them. Tyler saw him. “More Drama.” Amberley muttered. She watched on as Caroline looked at Tyler and then sceptically takes Klaus’ offered hand. He leaded her out onto the dance floor. They danced for a while but then Klaus leaves her. She looked at him confused. “Hmmm.”

----------------------

Later, in the classroom, several candles were lit and Bonnie was chanting. Damon, Stefan, Klaus, Jamie and Jeremy were there. Even Amberley, they filled her in on what was happening. She could Bonnie, if needed. Jamie looked at the others. “She does this all the time, right?”

“All the time.” Amberley sassed.

Damon looked at her. “Someone is sassy tonight.”

“Sue me.” Amberley comment.

Then Klaus spoke up. “What’s taking so long?! All boundary spells have a loop hole.”

Just then Matt entered. “People are walking right out of the dance, past the barrier.”

“Matt and I can leave, we can stop Esther ourselves. We just gotta find out where she is.” Jeremy suggested.

“No.” Amberley told him seriously.

“You can’t tell me what to do.” Jeremy snapped at her.

Then Stefan spoke up. “It’s suicide, Jeremy.”

Suddenly Klaus rushed over and grabbed Jamie by the throat and started to strangle him. “Suicide would be disappointing me! Now work your magic, witch, or I’ll start killing people you fancy.”

“Let him go!” Bonnie shouted.

“Not until you get us out of here.” Klaus threatened her.

“Ah, don’t be stupid, Klaus. Bonnie doesn’t give a damn about us. The only reason she’s helping us right now is to save Caroline and Tyler. You start killing the people she cares about, she’ll tell us all to go to hell.” Stefan told him. Klaus let go of Jamie.

------------------

Alone in the classroom, Bonnie grabbed a map from the wall and put it on the teacher’s desk and turned on the table lamp. Klaus, Amberley and Damon entered. “Here. Jeremy made a little Gilbert blood donation for your locator spell.” Damon told her.

Bonnie looked at them. “I have to do this with you three lurking over me?”

“I’m no lurker.” Amberley comment.

Damon looked at her. “You’re still mad at me for what happened to Abby. Let me apologize. I’m sorry Elijah forced us to turn your mother into a vampire to save Elena’s life. Didn’t exactly have a choice.”

“There’s always a choice. Whenever you make one someone else suffers.” Bonnie hissed.

Klaus sighed, not wanting the drama. “Let’s cut the dramatics and begin, shall we?”

Bonnie poured the blood onto the map and started chanting. “Phasmatos Tribum Nas Ex Veras, Sequita Saguines, Ementas Asten Mihan Ega Petous.” The blood formed a circular pool that doesn’t move. “Esther is fighting me.” Amberley joined in, but it still didn’t move.

“Esther couldn’t possibly have this much power. Unless she’s channelling something.” Klaus told them.

Bonnie frowned. “A hotspot?”

“Get the humans ready. I know where she is.” Klaus replied, after he realised it.

---------------

Klaus, Amberley and Stefan were standing outside the school near the entrance to the gym hall. “You know this is your fault. You set us on this path when you released my mother. I wonder if revenge will prove worth the cost.”

Stefan shrugged. “Oh, I’m done with revenge. As far as Esther; we’ve stopped her before, we’ll stop her again.”

“We’re strange bedfellows, you and I. You know, all of this, reminds me of our time together in the Twenties.” Klaus told him.

Stefan looked at him. “You say that like I’m supposed to have happy memories about it.”

“Well, there were moments. Real friendship. Brotherhood.” Klaus told him.

Amberley stood there awkwardly. “Okay.” She muttered.

Then Damon walked up. “Well, he already has a brother. Not to be, you know, territorial or anything.”

Klaus looked at the brothers. “Oh no, of course, the Salvatores. And their unshakeable bond. I wonder what’ll happen when Elena finally makes her choice. Will we see you shake just a little bit?”

Just then Bonnie came out of the school. “It’s done. Esther’s not fighting me any more. The boundary spell is broken.”

Klaus tested the boundary with his arm, and seeing Bonnie’s words were correct, rushed away. Stefan looked at Bonnie. “Thank you, Bonnie. For everything.”

“I didn’t do it for you.” Bonnie hissed.

-------------------

Later, Amberley was home and started to pack somethings as then Klaus walked in. “Packing in this late hour?”

Amberley turned to look at her father. “Yeah, just things that i really wanted to have come with me.”

“And where are you going?” Klaus asked her.

“I’m going to mom, uh Malia’s. I wanted to have some time with her.” Amberley replied. “I just, i need to go for a little while. Nobody is talking to me anymore, only you and aunt Bekah. Sorry dad, i just need to get away.”

Klaus nodded. “I was going to ask you to come with me, but if you wanted to see your mother is fine by me.”

“Where are you going?” Amberley asked him.

“Maybe to New Orleans.” Klaus replied. “This town is sues a bore.”

“But its your home town.” Amberley frowned. “I don’t understand.”

Klaus walked towards his daughter. “Not for a long time. New Orleans is, was close to a home after Mystic Falls.”

“And you want it to be your home again? I mean with New Orleans.” Amberley told him.

“Yes.” Klaus nodded. “Maybe you want to come too? And see the town.”

Amberley smiled. “After I have seen mom. I really need to see her.”

Klaus nodded. “I understand. You have my number, you know you can call me.”

“I know, dad.” Amberley nodded. “Maybe I do some paintings when I’m with mom.” She smiled at him. “And maybe I can show them to you in New Orleans.”

“Well, I want to see you art.” Klaus told her. “Better get some paintings done then.”

Amberley nodded. “I will.”

“Okay, but for now, go to bed and pack tomorrow. Its late.” Klaus told her.

“I will.” Amberley nodded.

“Sleep well.” Klaus told her.

“You too, dad.” Amberley smiled as then Klaus walked out of her room. Then she changed her clothes and went to sleep.