Chapter 8 - Our Town

After spending the night in the woods, Amberley avoided everyone, mostly Elena. After that fight, she didn’t want to see Elena, not soon. But she also knows that it’s Caroline’s birthday and she couldn’t miss that. So, she got home, got changed and went to Caroline’s home. Not much later, Caroline walked into her house and put her stuff down. All of a sudden Elena, Matt, Amberley and Bonnie jumped out with balloons, party hats, and a sign. They yelled surprise. “Happy birthday!” Matt added.

Caroline looked at them. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Well you blew off school and missed our work of birthday art, so...” Elena took off the crown she’s wearing and put it on Caroline’s head.

“Change into warmer clothes, we are going to the Falls. S’mores, camp fire..” Bonnie added.

Elena looked at her. “Cake! Like when we were little.”

“Hmm, cake.” Amberley muttered.

Matt held up a bottle. “Except for the tequila!”

Caroline sighed. “Thanks, guys. Really, um, I’m just not feeling my birthday this year.”

Bonnie blinked. “I’m sorry, what?” She exclaimed. “You’ve already claimed your birthday as everyone’s favorite day of the year.”

“Yeah, and now, it’s just a reminder that technically, I’m dead. Look, I didn’t even like 17. And the only point to being 17 is to get to 18. It’s a filler year; I’m stuck in a filler year.” Caroline told them.

“Practical, you are right.” Amberley comment.

“You’re not stuck, Caroline.” Elena disagreed.

“Yeah I am, but it’s okay. You know, it’s all good, I’ll be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it.” Caroline told them.

Elena nodded. “Okay, well I think I have another idea.”

---------------

Caroline, Elena, Bonnie, Amberley and Matt entered the crypt. “There it is!” Elena exclaimed.

“This is creepy, even for us.” Bonnie comment.

Amberley looked around her. “Yeah.”

Elena disagreed with them. “No, Caroline was right... technically, she’s dead. Sorry. But you don’t need a birthday, you need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life, so that you can move on with your new one.”

Caroline smiled. “Okay. Here lies Caroline Forbes...”

Elena was putting candles on top of a birthday cake. “Cheerleader, Miss Mystic Falls, third grade hopscotch champion...”

“Friend, daughter, overachiever...” Bonnie continued.

Amberley looked at her friends. “Party achiever, kind girl, who loves a shopping spree sometimes...”

“Mean girl, sometimes, no offense.” Matt finished.

Caroline smiled. “Ah, none taken.”

“She was 17, and she had a really good life. So rest in peace, so that she can move forward.” Elena walked up to Caroline, holding the cake in front of her. “That’s what you really need. What we all really need. Amen, or cheers or whatever. Bonnie?” Bonnie light the candles with her powers. “Nice! Okay, make a wish.” She held the cake out to Caroline, who closed her eyes and make a wish.

-------------------

Elena, Bonnie, Matt, Amberley and Caroline were eating the cake. Matt took the bottle of tequila from Bonnie, but Elena snatched it from his hand and drank it. “Ah-ah. I need it more than you do, trust me. Caroline, what are you doing?”

Caroline was texting on her phone. “What? Nothing.” She stopped texting, and held her hands down in front of her, trying to hide the phone in them.

“Okay, you’re a bad sober liar. You’re an even worse drunk liar.” Elena comment.

“Couldn’t agree more.” Amberley snatched the bottle from her.

Caroline looked guilty. “I might have texted Tyler.”

“Caroline...” Elena was interrupted.

Caroline shrugged. “What? I’m delicate.”

“Give her a break! You can’t control what everyone does all the time.” Bonnie called to her.

“Couldn’t agree even more to that.” Amberley took another sip.

There’s an awkward silence. Elena looked at her. “Wow.”

“Ouch, Bon.” Matt comment.

Bonnie sighed. “Sorry, I know it’s Caroline birthday, funeral or whatever but, I just feel it’s really wrong that you compelled Jeremy to leave town.”

“I’m doing it to protect him, Bonnie. I want to give him a chance to have a quiet normal life.” Elena explained.

Bonnie looked angry. “He should be able to choose how he wants to live it, you’re taking his choices away.”

“Bonnie, you can’t tell him.” Elena sighed.

Bonnie held her shoulders up. “Why? Are you gonna compel me not to?”

“Oh, she wouldn’t dare.” Amberley snored.

Matt looked at Bonnie. “You know, you guys are ruining a perfect funeral.”

“I’m sorry. I’m just gonna go sleep it off or something. Happy birthday.” Bonnie leaves.

Amberley stood up. “I’m gonna leave too.” She leaves as well.

----------------

The next morning, Elena, Amberley and Jeremy were standing in the foyer of the Gilbert house. Elena was hugging Jeremy. “You’re gonna have to let me go, eventually.”

“Listen to Jer.” Amberley comment.

Elena let go of him. “Be safe, okay?”

“Yeah, okay, all right. Alaric’s waiting.” Jeremy replied.

“Jer, I’m going to miss you.” Amberley told him.

“You know, Amberley. I’m gonna not miss you.” Jeremy told him, angry at her still. Amberley didn’t say a word after that.

Just then, Bonnie arrived. “Good, you haven’t left yet.”

“What are you doing here?” Jeremy asked her.

“I came to say goodbye.” Bonnie and Jeremy hugged. Jeremy grabbed his stuff, looked at Elena, Amberley and Bonnie one last time and went to the car.