4

Do you know what a DUFF is? It means Designated Ugly Fat Friend. It's the friend who in a group of friends is considered to be the ugliest or the least interesting. For a clearer understanding, I suggest you watch the DUFF, a YA Hollywood movie. It's cliché but it will make you understand what it means to be a DUFF.
Okay, so my new friends Anita and Skye (who I've introduced to my parents) wanted to go swimming and convinced me to come with them. I really didn't want to go because I do not really look good in a swimsuit (or so I've been told) but they told me to be proud of my body and live a little. So, I agreed and we went to a nearby hotel and paid to have access to their swimming pool. We changed to our swimsuits and we were about to hit the pool when we saw Beau and his lackeys. Beau was in the water looking as hot as Aquaman while his lackeys were under some umbrellas, sipping drinks. They called Anita and Skye over and I decided to swim (far away from Beau of course). I was finally getting the hang of backstrokes when one of Beau's lackeys who had a unibrow shouted "There's a monster in a pool!"
All the occupants of the pool (including my humble self) swam over to the edges and hopped out as fast they could. Beau even shoved people out of his way. I was getting out of the pool when someone held on to me to support his weight and I fell back into the pool. I was so scared, I heaved myself back out in record time. My lungs were hurting but at least I was safe.
"Where's the monster?" Beau asked Unibrow angrily, while toweling his fit form.
"Over there." He pointed at me and they all burst into laughter.
Anita and Skye scowled, "I can't believe we hung out with you. You're all a bunch of douchebags."
"You friends with her now?" Beau asked, surprised.
"Yes." Anita said. "Let's get out of here. I hate puerile people." They linked hands with me and tried to draw me away. But I was so angry that I shook them off and went over to Unibrow.
"I demand an apology."
"Ugh. Get the fuck out of our way. We don't like what we're seeing." Beau said and the others laughed.
I ignored him and repeated myself.
"Or what?" Unibrow said standing up.
I hadn't even figured that part out but I decided to wing it.
"Or I'll..." I slipped and fell foward, my hands tried to grab the nearest thing which was Unibrow but he shifted backwards and I grabbed his swim trunks as I fell to the floor. The swim trunks followed me and I looked up to see the most awkward looking appendage I've seen in my life.
Everyone burst out laughing and I stood up and apologized to Unibrow who looked like he wanted to murder me.
"That's one weird looking dick." Beau laughed as tears sprang from his eyes. I quickly excused myself and left with Anita and Skye who thought the scenario was funny.
Soon, the news spread that I had pulled down Unibrow's swim trunks to get revenge for what he had done. I decided not to correct anyone spreading the story. Maybe, this would make people think twice before they attacked me.
That day, Beau posted a picture of me in my swimsuit with the caption "would you do her for a billion dollars?" But I didn't care. It was nothing new. I think he received some backlash for cyber bullying because he took it down hours later.
What can I say? Sometimes things go my way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So a few days after that incident, I received a text from a course mate of mine saying he wanted to get to know me and my hopes went up. He was smart and passable and girls like me don't get to be picky. I would see him during lectures and he'd smile my way. He never talked to me face-to-face though but I didn't mind. I didn't want our blossoming friendship (yeah, right) to be a source of caricature to Bella and Beau. I'm going to show some excerpts of our chat.
Him: Hi
Me: Hello
Him: Do you know who this is?
Me: No
Him: it's your course mate ******, I got your number from our group chat.
Me: Oh.
Him: I want to tell u dat u did well by getting revenge on Unibrow.
Me:😄😄😄😄😄
Him: I just discovered that I don't really know u dat well. So tell me about yourself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, we got to know each other and we even started chatting frequently. Always online but never face-to-face. After a few weeks, this happened:
Him: Fea we've been chatting for weeks now. I think I've grown comfortable enough to ask this question.
Me: Don't be shy. Ask.
Him: pls don't say no.
Me:😅😅😅😅😅😅 (we know where this is going don't we?)
Him: ok. Here goes. I noticed that you've started hanging out with Anita. I rly like her and I want to date her. I've tried telling her but she says she's not interested. Can u put in a good word for me?😢😢😢😢😢😢
Me: [you have blocked this person. Learn more in settings].
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
🎶I can't believe that I'm the fool again🎶. Come to think of it, I sit with Anita and Skye during lectures. Maybe he had been smiling at Anita. And to think I would have said yes if he'd asked me to be his...anything. I'm actually more angry than disappointed. He went about this the wrong way. I can't believe I've been DUFFED. Oh! I guess it happens to the best of us.
But being the softy that I was, I told Anita about him and her response was, "Ugh. He's trying too hard. Totally not my type."