Gift

When their romantic picnic was over, the driver took them to the airport and they flew back to Lodnon. Melinda was no longer worried and looked out of the window at the Eifell Tower. She took a deep breath as they stepped out. She loved the English air, it smelled like home. She liked Paris, but she was glad to be home. Max drove her home, they stood at the front door and kissed. She couldn't even imagine letting him go. She had grown accustomed to his presence over the past two days and didn't want to be without him for even one day, or night. By the time she entered her ibza, it was already night and fatigue had completely overwhelmed her. She fell asleep almost immediately and dreamed of Max all night. Still drowsy, she walked to the kitchen in the morning. Mark was already sitting at the table, waiting impatiently for her.

''When have you been?'' he asked louder than she would have liked

''Do you know, how worried I was about you?'' he was almost shouting

''I'm fine Mark, calm down'' she said irritably

''will you tell me where you've been?'' he asked again, trying to look calm

''In Paris''

''Paris? You mean Paris, France?''

''Yes''

''Did he take you to France? Just like that?''

''Yes, and it was.... I love him'' she said, smiling at him

He wasn't smiling, his face was a mixture of anger, defeat and sadness. He felt as if she had just plunged a knife into his heart. She paced around the kitchen to make coffee and breakfast and he sat there like a chained man, unable to say, or do anything. He got up from the table, went to his room, and after a moment she heard him slam the front door. She didn't care, all she could think about was Max, she knew she wouldn't be seeing him today as he had work commitments outside of London, but he couldn't take her with him this time. When she went to bed that evening, Mark still wasn't home. It was mid-afternoon, she was sitting on the couch watching TV. Suddenly Mark came out of his room, she didn't even know he was home. He sat down next to her leaned his head back and after a while fell asleep. He looked awful. She thought he had had a very hard night. He had frizzy hair and circles under his eyes. She could smell the alcohol so strongly, that after a while she had to run out of the house to get some fresh air, or she would have thrown up. She looked around. Everywhere was calm, quiet, the sun was shining on the flowers and trees. She liked it there. Mobile rang in her pocket.

''Hello?''

''Hello, my love'' said Max in his deep voice

''Hi'' she said and smiled

''What are you doing?''

''Nothing'' she said and looked over at the house where a drunk Mark was sleeping on the couch.

''I want to be with you'' he said in his deep voice.

''I want to be with you too '' she said, looking at the ground

''I'll come for you in an hour''

''Don't you have concert today?'' She asked.

It was just a small, private cocert at a conference of businessmen and businesswomen.

''If you don't want to, I won't come''he said amusedly.

''Of course I want to'' she said, laughing.

She walked into the house. She looked into the living room. Mark was still asleep on the couch, snoring. She walked into her room, took a quick shower, and put on a black flowered miniskirt and a black strapless top. On her feet she put on a pair of black high platform sneakers. When Max came to get her, Mark was still asleep. She ran out of the house and threw herself into Max's arms. She looked him over, his outfit was also black. Jeans and a t-shirt. She ran her hand through his hair and kissed him.