Job Interview

It was a cold, cloudy day. She was leaving another unsuccesful audition for TV comercial. They didn't choose her, because of her big boobs. She was disappoited, looking at the ground and her hair fealling in her face. She stopped to fix her hair. She stood there with her mouth open. Stood in front of the tall glass building that housed the most watched television in England. She never thought about television. She always thought she didn't stand a chance on TV, and moreover, she prefers theatre. But today, she felt bad, thought about throwing away her dream and spending the rest of her life cleaning and scrubbing toilets in buildings like this. She didn't want to go home. She knew she would spend the rest of the day crying with her head buried in her pillow so no one would hear her. If she has to throw away her dream and resign herself to her fate, nothing will happen if she looks inside, and at least she can ask if they need a cleaning lady. She stood in front of a large glass door and looked around for a moment. She adjusted her hair by flipping it to one side, undid the button on her white blouse and then buttoned it back up. She smoothed down her dark blue jeans and looked down at her new burgundy sneakers, which already had stain on them. She pulled a small mirror out of the pink bag she had slung over her shoulder and checked her makeup. Dark eyeshadows, long lashes and burgundy lips.  She blew herself a kiss and walked into the building. It was a big shiny room and in the middle was a big shiny information desk, behind wich sat a young man, who looked confused, as if it was his first day there. When he noticed her, he motioned for her to come to him.  And now he's going to kick me out of here, she told herself. She walked through the metal detector and waited out of habit, to hear the beep. Nothing happened, so she continued.

''Have you come here for a job interview for an assistantposition?'' he asked.

''Yes'' she didn't know why she said it, and her heart began to beat faster.

A phone started ringing and the young man didn't know, what to do first. Whether to talk to Melinda or answer the phone. He just said, sixth floor, door 104 and paid no more atention to her. He picked up the phone and started to write something on a piece of paper.

'' Thank you '' she said in surprise and walked to the elevator. That's not even possible she told herself and then she saw the two security guards following her, and quickened her pace.  She stood in front of door number 104, and said to herself, what the hell are you doing Melinda? She walked into the room and looked around. It was a small room, with a door leading into another room. White walls on wich hung all the pictures on wich landscapes were painted. There were plastick black chairs along the edge and in the middle. There were girls both younger and older than Melinda sitting on them. Most of them were blondes with big boobs and perfect faces. Some were talking among themselves, others were playing with their mobile phones. Is this a job interview for an assistant in a porn movie? she thought and laughed. She noticed Paula, a girl she had met few times at the auditions. She was looking bored and blowing her nose loudly. There was an empty chair next to her, so she sat down.

'' Hey, so you're here for job interview too?''

'' Yeah,  working for Amber Parker is ticket to show business. According to my agent opinon.'' she said, rolling her eyes.

Melinda never had an agent, but she knew exactly, who Amber Parker was. Fifty, divorced, mother of a fifteen year old girl, pretty elegant lady. Elegant hairstyle and tailored dress. She had her own show on television. Amber with the Stars, that's what the show was called, and she used to invite celebrities on and talk to them about everything. It was one of the most watched shows in England, people loved it. Amber had a high status in show business and everyone wanted to be on her show. Melinda thought about what Paula had said about working for Amber being a ticket to show business. She has little chance, but she will try. She tried to remember everything she knew about Amber to catch her interest, but she didn't want to impose. Maybe if she got here, it is a fate. If it works out, it will be what she's been waiting for, if not, she's done, this is the last chance. She sat there and watched the girls go in and out of the door, not knowing where the door led. She was the last one left there.She was standing in a small elegant office when she walked in the door. On the white walls hung photos of Amber with celebrities. Some she knew and some she didn't.  Flowers in every corner and a big red carpet in the middle of the room. One huge window overlooking London, a large wooden table and a leather armchair on wich Amber sat.

'' And who are you? I thought, the one before you, was the last one''

''Melinda Mils, ma'am, I'm here for the job interview" she said as she stood at the table looking Amber in the eye. She bit her lip and crossed her legs. She often watched Amber's show with Mark and did not believe, that she was standing in front of her and even applying for a job.  Amber scaned fer from top to bottom. She had sixth sense. She felt Melinda's courage and determination. You could see in Melinda's eyes, that her life had never been easy and that, she wasn't going to just give up. She liked her, she wasn't a powdered doll who would run away from her within a week.

'' Sit down please, I don't have your CV, it seems to have been lost ...'' She said, scanning Melinda with her blue eyes.

'' Possibly''  Melinda said awkwardly, smiling at her and sitting down in the chair across from Amber. Amber picked up the papers she had on her desk. She straightened them and set them aside. She closed her laptop and drank the last sip of coffee from her red cup.Melinda watched everything she did, hardly breathing during this. Suddenly, Amber looked at her.

''So tell me about yourself, sweetheart," Amber said, fixing her richly blown blonde hair and smiling at her.

Melinda took a deep breath, looked out the window at London, exhaled and looked at Amber.

'' I'm interested in showbiz, specifically acting, I took acting classes and acted in plays at school. I took a few other courses and now I work as a cleaner.

Suddenly it seemed silly to her that the cleaning lady wanted to become Amber Parker's assistant, and she began to sweat.

''What are the other courses?''

'' Self-defence course'' (it was mandatory, because she lived in a rough neighborhood)

''How to communicate with people'' (life on the street taught her, how to communicate with everyone)

'' The acting course I mentioned...besides I can drive, but I don't own a car. And I would also like to say, that I can work really hard.''

Amber listened and looked at her inquisitively.

'' And what about a musical instrument, can you play one? The piano... for example... ''

''Piano, yes, I play on piano'' shit! Ran through her mind, what if Amber wanted to hear her play the piano, but she had never held any musical instrument in her hands. She simply had to stop lying, or she'd ruin it all.

'' Excelent, and tell me, why you want to work for me''

'"I'll be honest, Amber, me being here is just a coincidence. ' As she said that, Amber smiled at her again. ''But coincidences lead to the best things.'' she said, smiling as well.

''I adore your show and would be honored to work for you. I'm sure I would learn a lot from you, and if you choose me, you won't regret it, I'll do whatever you want.'' She looked at Amber as if she had just told her the most important thing in her life. She took a deep breath and waited to see what she would say.

It was obvious that Amber was thinking about something, raising her thin eyebrows and pursing her lips. After a moment, she smiled again and handed Melinda the paper and pen.

''Write me your phone number, darling, and I'll thank you for your interest. If I choose you, I'll call you. ''

They shook hands and Melinda left. As soon as she closed the door, she was convinced she wasn't going to get the job.