Moving?

The first day on the job was like something out of another world. Everyone was in a hurry. Everything was big and she didn't even know what it was. There were spotlights, cameras and big boxes everywhere. No one had time to talk to anyone, and if anyone said anything to her, she didn't understand what they wanted from her. Everything was new to her and everything was governed by precisely defined rules. Every second was counted and planed. As soon as she signed the contract, Amber introduced her to her team and Melinda immediately started working. She just watched them for a while to see how things were going. Amber walked around with her head held high, acting like a queen bee, and all the others - the worker bees - were diligent, determined to do her every wish and command. One had to be quick and agile to survive. Melinda was a smart girl and was able to adapt to this world quickly. There was one big grey table and a big grey armchair in the studio, and Amber was sitting on it. Next to the table was a comfortable golden armchair for guests and a glass table on which a glass of water was usually placed. There was a large projection screen on the wall where Amber would occasionally play videos of her guests. There was also a white wooden piano to complete the atmosphere, and a black carpet on the floor. There was a huge audience area in front of the table and everything was surrounded by cameras and lights. It took a few weeks, and Melinda was one of them. Work became her second home. She fit in with the new team and was more than good at her job. She always watched Amber host her show, and the audience how they enjoyed the show. She admired her for being able to talk to anyone. She got everyone where she wanted them and got everything she wanted from them. Amber dominated everything and the audience loved her. One star after another took turns in her show. Melinda's life changed completely. She often said it was the best job ever. Although she sometimes worked from morning till night, she had no regrets. She didn't mind that she was sometimes like Amber's maid, that she went to the cleaners, that she shopped, brought coffee and donuts, enjoyed it. She set up Amber's work appointments and arranged everything Amber wanted. She worked for Amber for almost a year, they formed a strong bond and became great friends. Every day at work was different and each day was better than the one before. When Melinda came home from work late one evening, she found Mark sitting on a chair in the kitchen. As soon as she saw him, she knew something was wrong. He looked at her with tears in his eyes and looked devastated.

'' My mom was in a car accident, she's dead," he said and started crying.

She ran up to him and hugged him tightly. He looked at her and she cried too. It took a long time to calm down. She led him into the living room and they sat down on the sofa. SShe still hugged him tightly and occasionally kissed his hair. They sat there and watched TV, which they didn't pay any attention to. All Mark could think about was his mother.Melinda wanted to tell them that she wanted to move out. But everything had changed, she couldn't just leave him. She had to wait. After a few weeks, she started thinking about it again.

'"Mark, can we talk? They were sitting on the sofa, watching the Amber with stars. Two bottles of beer and a pizza were placed on the coffe table. Melinda knew exactly what was going on because she had been behind the scenes She remembered every moment of that day.

'' Sure'' said Mark

"I want to move out," she looked into his eyes to catch his reaction.

''What? Why?" He asked in confusion

''You know, I've never been alone in my life, I've always had to share my privacy with someone. And I want that, I want it all to myself. I want to be alone and finally have enough money to do it'' she said urgently

'' But we are so good together. I like living with you and I think you like living with me... and maybe in time..." he said, touching her cheek

'' Mark...'' she said, pulling his hand away from her face

''Yes, I know. There's never gonna be anything between us, you don't have to tell me that. He said irritably.

''But please don't leave me, I can't stay here alone.''

"I'm sure it won't take you long, to find someone to rent my room to. 

''But I don't want anyone else here, I want you to be here. Please give me a few more months to accept my fate, and I promise to move you out of here myself.''

Melinda looked at the ground.

''Okay, okay Mark...'' Mark was her best friend and she couldn't say no to him.