Chapter 31-I

For the last chapter, Puwakai means, conveying the new bride to her husband's house. Just like Kai Amarya in Hausa 😉

_______

Hafsatu looked at the woman across her, wondering if she had somehow gone mad. Zulai it was.

She liked the woman and couldn't harbour the thought of hurting a single hair on her skin. They had known each other from the onset, as children and they were never friends neither were they enemies, they grew up in the same neighbourhood.

Zulai grew up to be a renowned midwife, known by all, she did her work perfectly and had never failed, even at the complicated issues.

Hafsatu happened to be the beautiful timid maiden whom without her knowledge was arranged with the prince then.

One thing led to another and Zulai was the woman who saved her life. Hafsatu vividly saw herself between life and death, but God in His absolute mercy, saved her life.

Merely looking at her, she couldn't bring herself to wish her bad or make anything bad happen to her.

"What do you plan on doing?" Hafsatu finally voiced.

"In a few days, your son's new bride would be arriving. And as newly weds, the intimacy of the first night would happen," Zulai paused, looking to see if Hafsatu understood her, "I am suggesting we should wreck it."

The Queen mother almost laughed at her suggestion. Sometimes, Zulai thinks illogically. And Hafsatu was the type of woman who told you the truth without hesitation.

"Can you hear yourself? We are not that desperate, are we? We should wreck one night?" Hafsatu scoffed unbelievably, "Think about it, if we wreck one night, what about other nights when the desires would be at the brink, or even days? Look, I don't appreciate we talking about the intimate life of my son, it isn't polite." She added worriedly, in a way to cut short the conversation.

Zulai glared at her in offence, her words were quite insulting, "I just don't want the woman to get pregnant. It...."

"You shouldn't let this small matter affect your mental health."

"It is not a small matter! You promised, you know! I don't know this but it feels like you are siding your son's decision. You can't just change your mind after all these years. My daughter should be beside your son! Not some Warji woman."

"Are you in a way, threatening me?"

"If it comes to that I wouldn't hesitate." Zulai answered.

Hafsatu fumed in anger, she knew it would come to this, one day or the other. She would not hesitate to pick her son's happiness if it came to that. What was the worse that could happen? He might hate her and she knew whom she carried for nine months. No matter what, there was that soft spot in him.

Zulai could do her worst, she wasn't afraid of her.

Hafsatu took a deep breath, "What do you suggest I do?"

"You always claim to be his mother which you are. You will come up with something." Zulai laughed.

"Okay. But let me warn you, don't go close to her, even by the slightest breathe the same air she breathes or having eye contact with her. I will do everything." Hafsatu forewarned.

Zulai studied her, "You now make everything easy for me. Kada ki ci amana ta (Do not betray me)." She passed her a challenging look.

Hafsatu would have crashed everything on that promise at that very moment to her, she would let the worse happen. Her fright was, he just got married and was very happy, his wife needed to be safe, ringing everything to his ears would cause a lot of shackle. For the mean time, playing along would be her task.