53. GIFTS & WORRIES

🌸 A N E E L A 🌸

Two days after the wedding, the last guests – the Cerons and Nikolai's father and sister – took their leaves from Ravka. It was utterly quiet when the last carriage had driven off and the Grande Palace was officially back to its normal routine.

Aneela spent the first half her first whole day in the princess' duty in her office, signing documents, writing letters, planning upcoming events and choosing furniture with Nikolai for the renovations of the room they wanted to move in to soon. There was some bickering about the colours of the tapestry and how the layout should look like but in the end, they landed on a good compromise and handed the lists and plans off to the workers.

The second took part in the factories of the Little Palace, where Nikolai introduced her to his current projects that had been on hold since the start of the courting season. They walked back to the Grande Palace when the sun started to set right before dinner, taking a longer route to the lake to get the dogs some exercise.

Aneela had been over the moon when the guy who was currently acting as Sturmhond brought Nikolai's three dogs to the wedding as a present for the new princess. The three had accepted her right away and were running around her and Nikolai, chasing one another over the paddle walk.

Thorn snapped at Ash and the black dog yelped, hiding behind Aneela for a moment before he took his courage again and started to chase his brother closer to the water. Oak didn't pay attention to his siblings; he was looking around and took everything in before a leaf distracted him, and he began to bark at it until it laid on the ground. Disappointed, he looked up to the humans behind him.

"You wanna to play fetch?" Nikolai picked up a stick that laid nearby and Oak wiggled with his tail in excitement, obviously having forgotten about the leaf.

The prince threw it, and the beige dog ran after it. They watched the little creature jump straight into the water without any hesitation and paddle over to his stick. When Ash and Thorn saw the flying stick, they jumped in right after him as well.

Aneela liked her arm with her husband's and rested her head on his shoulder. "They are so cute. I'm really glad you told the fake Sturmhond to get them to Ravka."

"How do they still have so much energy?" Nikolai chuckled. "They should still be exhausted from the long journey."

"If you would have slept the whole morning in a cozy dog bed in the warm office, you would have just as much energy."

"They were up and about in the work rooms, though. I wish I had so much enthusiasm!"

"You should have seen yourself talk about your new prototype," Aneela smirked. "You looked just like Oak going after his stick."