39. BACK HOME

🌸 A N E E L A 🌸

Aneela rearranged the bulletproof jacket that was painted with the orange colour of Novyi Zem. It felt good to wear it again, the two months without it had been weird. After she had unwillingly revealed her powers to everybody, Yaniya had asked Genya if she could replicate the destroyed one as good as they could. The sewers did a marvellous job, this piece is very close to the original.

She straightened the cuffs of the white shirt underneath it before she stepped away from the mirror and looked down at the anthracite pants that were held tightly to her body by suspenders. The black boots had been polished and shinned in the dim light of her cabin.

Aneela turned to the door but then remembered something, turning back to the mirror. With quick hand movements, the clips were pulled out of her hair, and it fell down in wild curls of the imprint of the hairstyle she had been given by Yaniya this morning.

Sighing in relieve, she massaged her aching scalp for a bit. The tight hairstyles were always cruel on the roots of her hair, and she was glad to give them a break. She ran her hand through the strains, trying to smoothen everything out when she heard a knock on the door.

"Come!"

Yaniya entered with a pleased smile on her face. "Called like a true princess. The ship is ready to set sail. I think you should navigate us out of the harbour. "

"You're not crossed with me?" Aneela grabbed a piece of orange ribbon and quickly tied a few strains that would bother her to the back of her head. "Half an hour ago, you seemed annoyed."

"We can never be angry for long, can we not? And father's suggestion seems more than fair."

Aneela let her hands drop to her side and faced her sister. "But why do you want me to do it when it is your turn?"

"The ravkans will be your people soon." The older one folded her hands together. "They should see how skilled their future princess is. And how brilliant she can drive an enormous ship out of a small harbour. But don't think that I won't take over after we are a dot on the horizon."

Aneela smiled and stepped in front of her with open arms. Yaniya smiled as well, and the two sisters hugged.

"I can't wait to go home to see mother and the dogs," Aneela sighed when they let go off each other. "You must be very excited to see your husband."

"I am. I miss him terribly, although we weren't gone that long, it feels like ages." The older zemini winked at her. "You'll know what that feels like in a couple of weeks as well. Once you're married you will be inseparable."

"We'll see about that," Aneela giggled. "First, him and I need to endure mothers inspections."

Yaniya grinned. "Oh, that is going to be a lot of fun to watch."