05. CONCLUSIONS

👑    N I K O L A I    👑

"Spare me details and make it short!" Zoya swept in like a storm cloud before the twins closed the doors to her salon again. Her eyebrows were separated by a harsh line, and she looked very tried. Her days as Queen were long and exhausting. One thing Nikolai didn't miss about being the head of Ravka. "I have a headache and can't deal with your long-lasting stories today."

"Not much to report on, honestly." Nikolai set his cup of tea down onto the table that stood at the centre of the seating area him and Genya were lounging on. "Weather was great, we had a nice game but I didn't win."

Zoya rolled her eyes and let herself drop onto one of the creme couches and rested her head into her hand, looking Genya's way. "Any useful information for me?"

"The game was a success, Nikolai managed to speak to every lady for a while. And we could see how their entourage encountered on the terrace while the true competing colours came out on the field."

Zoya looked over to the twins. "Anything interesting that you observed?"

"The fjerdans played good but aggressive." Tolya said.

"They are dreadful!" The prince added with an annoyed moan.

The Queen leaned back into a cushion. "You can't rule them out after just two days."

"Speak to them and you will see what I mean ..." Nikolai muttered.

"I have to say that he is right," Genya sighed. "They are dreadful. And cold-hearted without any empathy and remorse about foul play. And they have no similarities whatsoever."

"How so? I heard Jana Maelstrom is very interested in reading, as is our Prince."

Nikolai crossed his arms

Nikolai crossed his arms. "That is the only thing we have in common."

"She was raised to be the perfect wife to a royal but her bright light isn't to be trusted." Tamar tilted her head, not sure how to phrase her thoughts. "Something dark lingers in her shadow, as if she would want to grab it when she is able to. Speaking openly, I would be afraid that she strips Nikolai from his position and tries to strive against Ravka from within to make it into her personal empire."