24. MOVING FORWARD

🌸 A N E E L A 🌸

Not telling Kheru about the conversation with Nikolai was hard. Aneela debated throughout the day just to tell her because she couldn't contain her excitement: Her and Nikolai had decided to move forward with their relationship, which meant they were courting; unofficially officially of course.

He might propose to me in the following two weeks. Well, hopefully – or did she misinterpret things? No, surely not, why else would he make such statements like he did the past couple of days?

And we held hands this morning. Aneela had cursed herself after he had let go off her hands and she had noticed that she had forgotten to take her riding gloves off. She hadn't even been able to feel the warmth of his skin while he had caressed them so gently ... All he had felt was the rough leather of the brown gloves.

The breakfast with her family had been delightful, Yaniya had been over the moon when Aneela showed up with the prince on her arm and even her father couldn't contempt his happiness, he kept talking Nikolai's ear off throughout the meal. The mood had been good, the conversations were great, and they had laughed a lot.

It felt comfortable and natural to have him around and she was glad her family liked him so much. Four members were missing, her mother and the three dogs, but she was sure that they would get along with her nearly-fiancé as well. She couldn't wait to introduce him properly to everybody, show him around Weddle and plan their future together.

When he joined the bachelorettes in the morning in the gardens, Aneela was sure she would burst from the happy butterflied that flew around in her stomach as their eyes met across the field and he immediately smiled brighter. She copied his smile but quickly looked away, trying to hide it from the other ladies while she obtained the upper hand on the card game she was playing.

But one of them noticed.

"Did something happen last night during your dance?" Kheru's curious tone, snapping Aneela out of her thoughts, making her look at her friend. "You are so quiet today, occupied with your mind and that smile on your lips tells me it has something to do with our dearest prince."

The zemini couldn't conceal her caught look and Kheru grinned. "You are so easy to read."

"Oh, please."

"What happened? I'm shocked and offended as your best friend that you didn't tell me right away!"

Aneela sat up straighter and peering down at her cards again, avoiding making eye contact with her friend. "I cannot tell you."

"Why not?" Kheru frowned concerned. "You can tell me everything, you know that, right?"

"Yes, I do." Aneela said with a reassuring nod. "And I would love to tell you but it isn't the right time, yet. I promise you, I will tell you when I can."