Tell me the truth! (28)

Y/N POV:

I lay frustrated on my bed. It had been about a month now, why's he acting like this?

I look at my pillow, slightly damp from the night before. I've been crying so much, I miss the old him. Where he would call me just because he missed me, he'd actually offer first to take me places, where he'd randomly show up to my house to give me gifts. Where'd it all go?

I've been putting this off for a while, but I have to do it. I need to find out what's wrong with him. I grabbed my phone off the bedside table and continued to dial Bill.

"Hello, Y/N?"

"Bill, I need to ask you something."
I tell him with a serious tone, no beating around the bush.

"Oh, sure. What's wrong?"

"What happened with Tom? He's been so distant lately, I miss him so much."
I frustratedly exclaimed, I hear him sigh. Will I finally know the truth?

"Uh, Y/N. He's just... uh. I don't know how to say this, he kind of uhm..."
Ugh! Can't he just spit it out?

"What is it, Bill? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, it wasn't you. Look, after we got kind of famous, Tom had been with a lot of girls. Not real relationships, just one night stands. His first real, serious relationship went bad. He sort of... bumped into her after that day of the carnival. He went to the store to get groceries and uhm, saw her there."
Immediately, so many thoughts ran through my head. Did they do anything together? But this still doesn't answer my question.

"But Bill, why has he been distant after he saw that girl?"
I asked, confused and upset.

"It was just, sort of traumatic for him. She told people things he never wanted anyone to find out about, he kind of got trust issues. Seeing her again, after years, triggered him I guess."
I always wanted to know about Tom's past, but no matter what, he'll never tell me. He hates talking about his past, but why? There was a long silence before Bill began to speak again.

"Look Y/N, i'm going to be honest with you. The first time Tom met you, he just wanted a one night stand. But after meeting you and everything, he really fell in love with you. It's just hard for him to open up to anyone after what happened with his ex."
I didn't know how to react, I felt like a range of different emotions. Anger, confusion, sadness, sorrow, I couldn't handle it. I just missed him.

"Is it okay if I come around later? I want to talk to him and sort it out."
I asked, hoping that I can finally figure out the truth about this whole situation.

"Yeah, that'll probably be for the best. See you later."

"See you, Bill."
I hang up the phone and anxiously lay back on my bed. Thinking about a million different ways this scenario could go, I need some fresh air.

I put on a baggy jumper over the shirt I had slept in, I couldn't be bothered to take it off. I put on a pair of baggy, blue jeans and headed outside. I really needed some time to collect my thoughts, so I headed to a park near my house.

It was about a 15 minute walk, I spotted the place. I walked closer to the bench, but I could hear familiar voices. I threw the hoodie over my head, I didn't want to talk to anyone right now. But as I continued walking, the voices got louder. I could make out words now, they were arguing..?

"For gods sake! What is so special about her? You're acting like she's your fucking girlfriend! You need to let her go. I really don't care what you two did in high school, stop mentioning her! If you want her, stop wasting my time and go be with that hoe."
I heard a familiar, woman voice shout.

"I don't fucking love her, you're so fucking dramatic! We were only talking about high school memories, I just remembered her out of the random. Dumb bitch."

"DON'T CALL ME A FUCKING BITCH! And don't act like this is the first time you've mentioned her, god you can't get her name out of your mouth. It's always Aaliyah, Aaliyah, Aaliyah. Why don't you go be with Aaliyah, then?"
As soon as she said that, I realised who was talking. It was Zain and Jemma, but wasn't Aaliyah Tom's ex? Now i'm confused, again.

"She was my high school girlfriend, that's it! And how could I not remember her if we just ran into her at the store?"

"You don't have to fucking mention her though? She was dressed like a skank! I mean, who goes to the store in a mini skirt, high heels and barely even a crop top! If you want her over me, fine. Don't act like you love me if you really wanna be with that skank hoe!"

"What am I fucking saying that's not going through your head? I don't WANT her. You know I love you and you only."
After that sentence from Zain, the arguing began to calm down. I tried to quickly walk away, pretending I had heard nothing. I finally sat over in the bench that I was trying to get to this whole time. Recollecting my thoughts.

Isn't Aaliyah Tom's ex? Did they both date her? I just want an explanation! I'm fucking sick of this, I don't care. I'm going to Tom's house now, I can't wait anymore.

I walk another pointless 15 minutes back to my house, I jumped into my car and drove all the way to Tom's place. I need an explanation, i'm not going to sit around and just wait anymore.

I knocked on the door, I was frustrated, confused and upset but I tried to hide it. Bill opened the door, confused. I could spot Tom on the couch in the back.

"Oh, uh, I thought you were coming later."
He said, I couldn't be bothered with Bill right now. He moved to the side and let me in, I immediately walked over to Tom.

"Tom, what the fuck is going on?"
I yelled, he looked up at me confused. God, I hate when he tries to act dumb.

"What's wrong, Y/N?"
Tom asked stupidly, Bill was about to get involved but I cut him off before he even got to say anything.

"What's wrong is how everyone is all in on this big secret and I have no fucking idea what's going on! Why have you been so distant? Who is Aaliyah? Why are you and Zain enemies? What the hell happened, Tom?"
I frustratedly shout, two other boys come downstairs. Georg and Gustav, I think their names were.

"Y/N, calm dow-"
Bill tried to tell me, but no!

"No! I can't take this anymore! Someone needs to tell me what's happening!"
I angrily yell, Bill steps back from me.

"Y/N, Aaliyah is just an high school ex. As well as Zain's ex. Me and him aren't on good terms, that's all!"
Tom tried to explain, but it wasn't enough.

"Tom, I can tell you're holding back! Just tell me, what happened? Please, just tell me the truth!"
I hugged him tight, begging for him to just talk to me. I saw Bill in the corner of my eye leave the room as well as with those other two boys. I sit down on the couch with Tom, waiting for my explanation.

"Y/N, i'm just worried, okay? In high school, Zain got Aaliyah to play this cruel prank on me. She pretended to like me but she was cheating on me the whole time. She was with me just for a dare."
He looked down at his lap, I immediately felt so bad for getting so mad but he continued to talk,

"Zain always bullied me and Bill, for how we look. I always wondered why I couldn't be treated normally. So when this pretty girl that I liked told me she thought I was cute and whatever, I was over the moon. I was so happy, I had no idea I was just getting played."
I put my hand on his cheek and caressed it, how could someone do that to him? I can't imagine how much pain that would have caused him.

"After that, I never got into a serious relationship again. Only one night stands, until I met you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I ran into Aaliyah a few weeks ago. It just brought back so many traumatic memories, I couldn't handle it."
He couldn't bare look at me in the eyes, I watched as tears fell onto his lap.

"I'd never ever do that to you, Tom. Some people are so cruel, but I really love you. I just wanted you to open up to me."
I said in a much gentler tone than before. He looked up at me, eyes a little red from the few tears that dropped. I never would have expected what he was going to say next,

"Y/N, I think we should take a break."

thoughts —>