~Year 6~ Amortentia

During breakfast I sat at the end of the table with Draco alone. We were discussing our plans for the task. I hadn't been able to talk to Lucille or Astoria much last night since and were all ready there when we arrived in our dormitory.

"We should try the necklace first." I whispered quietly to Draco who was sitting next to me. "I also found some spells that might work to fix the Vanishing Cabinet you were talking about." Draco made no effort to respond and continued looking off into the distance. "Are you even listening?" I snapped at Draco who seemed to wake up from his day dream.

He cleared his throat. "Come again?" I was about to snap at Draco for not listening when Snape strolled up to us.

"Your schedules." He drawled, placing two papers in front of us. I looked at the paper and assessed what classes I had.

I would be taking NEWT: Potions, Care of Magical Creatues, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Herbology, Creature anatomy and physiology, Ghoul studies and Magic civics and sociology. I dropped out of Divination and Transfiguration. As well as Astronomy and History of Magic.

"I have Potions this morning, you?" I asked Draco. He nodded confirming he did. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just brilliant." He scoffed before grabbing his books and storming off. A few minutes later I made my way down to the dungeons which were already full of vapors and odd smells. I took a place next to Draco at the empty Slytherin table.

"Did you put something on?" Draco asked me almost immediately as I took a spot next to him.

"What? No." I said confused as I grabbed a textbook and opened it. Draco looked around almost dazed by the smell.

"Are you sure?" He said not convinced. I gave him a look, daring him to question me. "It's just that there's this strong smell of new books, dragons and...roses.." He said trying to pick out the different scents. "like the perfume you got for Christmas last year."

"Really?" I said trying to find where he was smelling this. "All I smell is mint, apples and expensive leather..like those suits you always wear."

I was now just as confused about what was happening as Draco.

"Now then, now then, now then," said Slughorn, whose massive outline was quivering through the many shimmering vapors. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making. . . ."

I've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of thing you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. You ought to have heard of 'em, even if you haven't made 'em yet. Anyone tell me what this one is?"

He pointed to the one nearest to our table.

"It's Amortentia!"

"It is indeed. Ir seems almost foolish to ask," said Slughorn, who was looking mightily impressed, "but I assume you know what it does?"

"It's the most powerful love potion in the world!" said Hermione.

"Quite right! You recognized it, I suppose, by its distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen?"

"And the steam rising in characteristic spirals," said Hermione enthusiastically, "and it's supposed to smell differently to each of according to what attracts us, and I can smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and -" But she turned slightly pink and did not complete the sentence.

"May I ask your name, my dear?" said Slughorn, ignoring Hermione's embarrassment.

"Hermione Granger, sir."